Hydroponics

Natural

I've learned from a friend of mine that hydroponics is the best way to plant herbs. Do you do this type of planting? What the difference of the herb being planted on hydroponics from regular soil?

SilverVeil

I don't know for sure what the result would be but if hydroponic tomatoes are any indication, I wouldn't do it. I think many of our fruits and veggies get their flavor from the type of soil they're raised in.

Walker

Hydroponics have their pros and cons. While it has been reported to offer bigger yields, in some plants, the quality of flavor lowers somewhat, depending upon the nutrients used in the solutions. There are several hydroponic applications out there, so my advise would be to talk to a place that deals with those systems and ask them about growing herbs with them. Also keep in mind your requirements and your limitations, such as space limitations, costs of operation (nutrients, water, electricity), and time.

Some systems require a bit of room and control of the solution which is used to feed the plants, since most times hydroponics use a soil less growing medium such as clay pellets. Another issue is that many require electricity to control the pumps and irrigation of the crops, and if you have power outages, this can cause problems to root systems if you are unable to provide the water and nutrients during that period.

Basically, you manage everything in your plants growth cycle and the nutrients it receives. If this is something you feel you would enjoy then go for it, though keep in mind the above factors. If you're only wanting a small herb garden then I suggest a raised bed or a few pots with quality soil. You can use drip irrigation or simply water by hand.

Talk to a nursery that deals with hydroponic systems to discuss your needs and see if it's right for you. Personally, things in the dirt simple taste better to me, but to each their own. Hope this was helpful and best of luck to you.

dziomek

I tried growing a few plants using hydroponics several years ago, and ended up going back to regular soil. It was nice they had a self-watering system, but it seemed I was forever buying the fertilizer crystals. I lived across the street from a store that sold the systems as well as grew cucumbers and tomatoes right in the store. It was an interesting concept, but I think properly maintained soil gardens are better. That is, however, just my opinion. Each person has their favorite ways of growing things, and neither is right or wrong. It is what works best for your particular situation.

jason

Have a great day
I do not. I was offered a system from a friend though and I may take him up on it. There is a lot to them, and many different types. Herbs though are so easy to grow compared to veggies, that I would rather use the system for some good veggies.

dissn_it

It always seemed like a lot of work to me so I never tried it. I have had to scale back on my garden due to lower back problems. I now just grow herbs on my kitchen window sill and my garden veggies in two large containers on my back deck. I don't think a hydroponic system would work too well for my situation.

xenon

Hydroponics is done with soluble fertilizers which makes it not an organic growing method. I guess it has its benefits with being able to produce food without the need for soil.
Personally there is no comparison with playing in the dirt with earthworms, compost and the joy of being outside amongst nature.

shaunche

Growing using the hydroponics method is too complicated for my liking. I have tried growing herbs and chillies using hydroponics, with little success. In my limited experience, the plants had a tendency to die quickly. Growing in soil is the easier option.