How long do your tomatoes last?

rayne

I bought a tomato from the grocery store last winter. It sat it in my window sill until I was ready to use it but then I decided to see how long it would sit there before going bad. 3 months later, it was still there, unchanged. I haven't bought a tomato since. Whatever process that tomato was put through cannot be good for my body. Don't you agree?

freshfoodie

I have never had a tomato last that long so it must be treated with something. I would not have eaten it either. Right now I don't have to buy them anyway since I have a boatload growing in my backyard.

Lyra

Oh, yuck! I cannot imagine what was done to that tomato to make it last that long. My first guess would be that it was genetically altered. I have not had this issue, but I will be keeping my eye out for it. I sure wish they would label GMO foods.

Aletha

That's horrible! I don't buy tomatoes in the winter. It can't be good for you to eat something that has that much preservative in it. Our tomatoes haven't lasted long this summer because of the drought but at least I know they are natural.

Luvkenny

Yuk! I try not to buy tomatoes in the winter too. We grow tomatoes in our garden. We can the extra ones. I have never had a tomato last 3 months. They must put something on them to keep them fresh longer.

claudine

It must have been preservatives, it's awful. I don't know how long my tomatoes last because I eat them immediately, but definitely they wouldn't last that long. I can't imagine winter without tomatoes, I don't know what I'll do:(

anniep1978

Wow! I have never has a tomato last that long, but I do try to buy most of my produce at local produce stands or grow it myself in the summer.

I would guess that tomato was full of perservatives :eek:.

Beth23

If its from my garden and its ripe 1 week on the window sill and it will start turning all sorts of funky. I tend to pick them as I eat them though. I try to stick to what is seasonal in our area when I buy them and tomatoes, but we do have them pretty long into the colder months in our yard because we have a little attachable green house hooked to the shed.

I wouldn't eat that tomato . :D

Beth

Lena51

Well I never heard of a tomato lasting that long. My tomatoes don't even last a week so that had to be some pretty powerful stuff it was treated with for it to be in your window for 3 months and no change. I usually put mind on the table in the kitchen and maybe 3 days they are not worth eating.

Jessi

Ew!

I have had some last longer than few days before, but it was usually because they were underripe. I wouldn't want to eat a tomato that had sat around for that long and still looked the same. It makes me think of those McDonald's hamburgers that people store for ages and they never mold.

ohiotom76

This kind of reminds me of the opening scene of 28 Days Later, where this guy wakes up in some post apocalyptic world where everyone is dead and gone and the planet is overrun with zombies. Anyhow, he wanders into a now abandoned grocery store and almost everything has rotted except for some vegetables which the movie points out were "radiated", which is why they hadn't spoiled.

jovan107

My tomatoes only last a few days, because I love cooking with tomatoes. I think a tomato that lasts as long as 3 months belongs in the garbage, its definitely not good for your body. I think the tomato was treated with something that made it last so long.

Kaybee517

Wow I have never heard of such a thing? Are you sure it was a real tomato? :p The longest my tomatoes have lasted was about 10 days or so. I find that when I refrigerate my breads or veggies they last a bit longer as opposed to leaving at room temperature.