How Aromatherapy Works

SallyA

I've heard aromatherapy mentioned a lot, but I don't understand how it works. What is it supposed to do that is good for our health?

jason

Have a great day
I'm horrible at describing things, but I think it works similar to how some music can make you happy, sad, angry, etc.. Certain smells trip reactions in your brain, causing you to feel a certain way. I remember reading lavender increases alpha waves in your head that lead to a relaxation feeling.

carsonods

The idea of Aromatherapy is based on the positive response of our bodies when exposed to some kinds of smells, or when treated with Aromatherapy Organic essential oils. When the body is massaged with specially prepared Aromatherapy Organic massage oils, our breath takes about 15% of the air to the roof of the nose, where olfactory receptors transport odors straight to the brain. This process stimulates the release of beneficial chemical within the body responsible for healing any bodily imbalance.

Clover

I'm not convinced about aromatherapy. My friend gave me some lavender essential oil to put a dab on my pillow. I didn't like the smell of it, but I love passing lavender flower fragrance.

wanderingherb

It's not just scent related. Although having a good scent does help.

I was skeptical also, but opened up. I was strictly just an herbalist. I added aromatherapy. I was real leery though.

Here's the deal, trying to describe as quickly as possible.

E.O. are volatile oils containing active constituents. These constituents are released and our nose contains many blood vessels. Hence the active constituents that are released are being utilized via the nose.

Also active constituents are carried through oils such as massage oils through our skin into our systems. Or a salve. Or dispersed in the air.

Wanderingherb

Hedda

People have been using scented oils for eons, and there is this whole body of literature that ascribes certain responses to certain scents, so there must be something to it, though I'll admit I never put much stock in it.

Healthy4us

It is interesting to hear everyone's experiences. Let me add this if I may. We have horses, and when the therapist comes out to work with them to do an adjustment, she always starts out with oils. She claims it does help and open up the passages for them to receive the benefit of healing. The horses seem to really love it. Sense of smell is a very powerful one. I know when I smell Southern Jasmine or Honeysuckle I immediately feel relaxed. Not sure why I feel that way, but when they are in bloom, I roll down the windows, breathe deeply, and I am good to go for the whole day! :)