Homemade Laundry Soap

Joyce

Does anyone make their own laundry soap and would be willing to share their recipe? I have finally sourced out washing soda in my regular grocery store and I would love a tried and true recipe.

shyness

I am curious to know if there is anything out there good enough to wash clothes without buying it from a store? Also wonder how it would work with hard water too?

EarthGirl

I've been planning on finally trying making my own detergent. Most of the recipes call for Borax, castile soap and washing soda.

What I've been told is that the homemade stuff works great, but you may need a stick or spray to pretreat stains. That's okay with me...I already do that.

wanderingherb

You know that is what my grandmother did. She grated up soap she made. Wasn't even castile. She made it out of fats collected from cooking. Then she added the borax, i remember the "mule" team on the box!! She also added washing soda. Now the ratios i do not know, but it probably has something to do with the hardness of your water in your area.

wanderingherb

freshfoodie

Joyce, that is awesome thank you for sharing that. Where exactly do I find washing soda in the store? I would be interested in giving this a try.

Joyce

I found it with the laundry soaps, on the top shelf in my store. It is right next to the Borax. I found that to be a great recipe.

kamcalli

I have yet to try this but it is on the list. Right now I have been snagging awesome deals for this new one on the market and have been stuck with that for a few months, but I am tempted to still try this.