Homemade Hair Conditioner

shyness

I made some conditioner for my hair several months ago, which consisted of Avocado, raw honey, yogurt, egg and olive oil. I did not like it at all. Does anyone else have a good homemade conditioner recipe?

Natural

I never tried making my own conditioner. I think you miss something in the ingredient that made it unpleasant. Most conditioners have chemicals and the extracts are just for the scent and not really the main ingredient.

wanderingherb

I used to make a major awesome conditioner using peppermint and silk and OLE etc with herbal extracts. Please note Herbal extracts are not for scent. That is what perfume oils or E.O. do. Herbal extracts are exactly that. Extracts. You can get natural products and actually some are condensed into natural by products of such and such.
I took my book a recipes out and dusted it off. I'll be darned if I don't have her site still!
The Herbarie Formulary-Blending Nature and Science - Innovative Natural Products for Cosmetics and Toiletries

She has an awesome recipe I used for Rosemary Mint Shampoo and if you contact her and also buy some of the supplies from her she will help you tweak a conditioner recipe to your liking!

This is a great person to work with. Very honest and open about the products. I see she has expanded considerably since i used the site last!! That is exciting to see!

wanderingherb

Natural

I stand corrected and thanks for correcting me. So what do the extracts really do in conditioners or shampoos? Do they help keep the hair healthy in some way?

wanderingherb

Not really a correction as it would seem they would be scented! There is so much broo ha ha going on with plants. After all an extract is an extract!

Think of it like, vanilla extract. You have a vanilla bean. Not as much use on one bean alone. But now you have vanilla extract and wow lots of taste that goes a long way and smell.

Yes extracts can be useful depending on which ones. Some are food approved and some are for external use only. There again it is debatable as to whether extracts are actually "Natural" or not! We know when you make herbal infusions, decoctions, oils, salves, or tinctures the herbs release their active constituents which attach to the molecules of the base. Extract, means to extract the qualities of the herbs into condensed form. By means of...could be use of chemicals so you have to check. What are they extracting to? So a plant extract, or wheat germ extract, etc can be useful to our skin and hair. Like rosemary and peppermint! Rosemary give hair a body boost and revitalizes shine (much more) and Peppermint stimulates the scalp. You can also do this by just adding some of the E.O. to a scentless shampoo or conditioner. Then you also have the scent. The extract of these are different. If you go to that site she is really good about explaining all of the extracts some she does on her farm from her own harvest.

E.O. are not "extracts" per se but the volitile oils extracted from the plant. Hence the reason you have the potent scent and some active constituents. Although plants change when you do this, so some E.O.'s do not have the same active constituents of the herb that is "extracted" into the water or oils as a dry or fresh herb.

Perfume oils are just that, perfume oils they are synthetically derived scents of the natural blends of plants or other scents.

Clear as mud?

And as I said its debatable because an extract is an extract. An extraction of something! So its not a correction at all. You are right. Its just different types.

wanderingherb