Healthy Chips

Beth23

The other night I made some Kale and baby spinach chips and they came out wonderful.

I used a nonstick cookie sheet and laid the kale and spinach out flat. You an use a little spray oil on the bottom of the pan but my cookie sheets are fairly new so I don't. Pull the stem off the Kale. Sprinkle a little sea salt and some organic powdered cheddar on them. Baked for 10 to 15 minutes on 425.

You have to keep an eye on them because most ovens are a little different and they can burn quickly.

Take them out when the edges are getting a little brown.

Let cool and peel them up and they look like dry leaves sort of but they taste really good and give you that crunchy sensation. If you store them use a baggy and don't seal or moisture gets in and makes them less crispy.

Its a good alternative to unhealthy potato chips or high carb chips.

Beth

jovan107

Beth, thank you for sharing this recipe. I love Kale its one of my favorite vegetables to juice and eat, but I have never considered making it as a chip, great recipe. I will give this recipe a try.

dissn_it

Nice way to make healthy chips! I like the idea of using the spinach and will have to give this a try very soon. Thanks for the share.

misumaru15

This sounds easy and simple to make. I might try. I know a dollar store near me often has spinach and other greens for 99 cents. I love spinach on salads. I'll keep an eye out for kale. I could use an alternative to chips (haven't been having them lately). I'm watching what I eat as I try to lose.

Spinach chips?! Interesting! Growing I didn't really like and was never a fan but from what you have posted, I'm definitely intrigued and to my surprise I just might find delicious! Thanks for this post!

aphil

This is a recipe I can relate to. We grow organic kale and spinach and I love them. I would have never thought to do this either. I will try it out and see how I like it. I am a bit confused though when you say to peel them, but I guess I will see once I go through the process.

rayne

These sound great! A healthy alternative to unhealthy chips. How many do you make at a time and how long will they keep? I don't have much time and when I do something like this, I'd like to do it in quantity.

AnonaMoss

I love kale. Yesterday I made an avocado, spinach, kale and goat cheese panini. I've always wanted to try kale chips, but the price at my nearby grocery store is 5.99 for the smallest bag ever. I had no idea that they were so easy to make. I think I will try this with a little seasoning sprinkled across the top. Question: Do they have the hearty crunch of a potato chip?

Beth23

This is a recipe I can relate to. We grow organic kale and spinach and I love them. I would have never thought to do this either. I will try it out and see how I like it. I am a bit confused though when you say to peel them, but I guess I will see once I go through the process.

Just on the kale. The leaf has this stem going down the middle which is tough. I peel just the stem out because it gets more chewy then crunchy when you bake them.

rayne said:
These sound great! A healthy alternative to unhealthy chips. How many do you make at a time and how long will they keep? I don't have much time and when I do something like this, I'd like to do it in quantity.
I make a whole tray of them. They don't keep well in something like Tupperware because if any moisture is left they will get soggy. I store them in a zip lock bag but leave it open so the moisture escapes until they are totally cool and dry. They are so quick and easy to make once you get the timing right for your stove that I just make them when I want to eat them.

It took a few tries to get it perfect so watch the first few batches you make while they cook. Let them cool so they get nice and crispy. I do peel them up off the pan just to loosen them once I take them out so they are easier to get off the pan once cool

Beth

xenon

Love Kale and grow the purple variety. I must give this chippy thing a go. Thanks Beth for the tip.:)

AnonaMoss

Just on the kale. The leaf has this stem going down the middle which is tough. I peel just the stem out because it gets more chewy then crunchy when you bake them.

I make a whole tray of them. They don't keep well in something like Tupperware because if any moisture is left they will get soggy. I store them in a zip lock bag but leave it open so the moisture escapes until they are totally cool and dry. They are so quick and easy to make once you get the timing right for your stove that I just make them when I want to eat them.

It took a few tries to get it perfect so watch the first few batches you make while they cook. Let them cool so they get nice and crispy. I do peel them up off the pan just to loosen them once I take them out so they are easier to get off the pan once cool

Beth
Thanks! I made these earlier this morning and made the mistake of putting them in tupperware so they got really soft. I was pretty disappointed in the way they came out when I went to get seconds. I thought I did something wrong like not leaving them in there long enough. I will make them again later this week. Atleast I know how to store them now.

Thanks for this! We make our own apple chips, carrot chips and potato chips in our house. However, we use a dehydrator. Spinach chips sound really delicious. I wonder how spinach would work on a dehydrator. I know when I slice carrots into circles they shrivel up, get too small and practically fall into the cracks. I wonder if spinach would do the same?

Oh, wow, that sounds so awesome! I never would have thought of making chips out of kale and spinach leaves, but now I'm definitely going to try it.

Basil Nut

I tried making kale chips a few months ago, but mine did not come out right. I'm going to try your recipe to see where I went wrong. I don't think I used any type of cheddar, going with olive oil and salt.

Pat

I haven't tried these chips yet although I have heard of them as a healthy snack the Dr. Oz show

claudine

Oh, I must try this! I love carrot chips, I make them at home, they're so yummy. I also like apple chips. It's a delicious and healthy snack.

Beth23

Oh, I must try this! I love carrot chips, I make them at home, they're so yummy. I also like apple chips. It's a delicious and healthy snack.

Hey, I want to know how to make carrot chips to. Come on spill it :D

I have lots of carrots from the garden this year.

Beth