Ham broth

Lyra

I have a ham bone in my freezer from the holiday festivities. I always think I should make a broth with it, like I do a turkey or chicken. But the only uses I can think of for ham broth is split pea soup or bean soup. I despise both those foods. Surely there is some other use for ham broth that is not occurring to me! Any suggestions?

Primrose

What about boiling the bone until all meat falls off and then make a ham/vegetable soup. I've done that before and it's really good. I use spare ham bones in a crock pot full of great nothern beans too. Add a cake of corn bread and you've got a meal!

I love saving the bone from a ham and making vegetable soup. It's one of my favorites and I always try to make sure there is a nice amount of meat left on the bone. Cooking other fresh vegetables with this is also good. (I love northern beans cooked this way too!)

Lyra

I didn't think of doing a vegetable soup. That is a good idea. However, I will not be adding beans of any kind. I really, really despise beans. I have also been wondering if I could somehow make it into a ham and potato soup. Is that even a thing?