Goldenseal

naturelady

Can we talk about goldenseal as a natural antibiotic? I have known about it for many years, but haven't taken advantage of it much. Anyone have experience or advice they can share?

wanderingherb

Can we talk about goldenseal as a natural antibiotic? I have known about it for many years, but haven't taken advantage of it much. Anyone have experience or advice they can share?
In the old days, :D nope not long story, it was about the only very strong herb for use as antibiotic with specific uses, pink eye, UTI, etc. However, it was abundant. Now it is not so abundant in the wild. So make sure you buy it from an excellent source and that its nursery or organic tilth. My mentor back then gave it to me in a tea. OH BOY its worse than Boneset. Immediately you break out in sweats. But now, we use Mahonia or Oregon grape. It is found that Mahonia is quite useful and powerful enough to use on infection especially bacterial such as UTI, bladder, kidneys, and sinus. It is far better to use a tincture of Mahonia, than goldenseal in many cases. These two herbs are Western Herbalism and I call them the big guns.