Ginger and Menstrual Cramps

Cassia

I was just reading that one of the health benefits of ginger is that it helps relieve pain associated with menstrual cramps. Peel ginger and cut it into thin slices then boil. Turn the heat down then add brown sugar. Strain the ginger from the water and drink the tea.

SoftRain

I have never heard of ginger helping menstrual cramps. I knew it is good for nausea, but not pain. I'll have to try it next time I cycle.

Lyra

Oh, boy, do I wish I had some fresh ginger right now! I had thought I was done with cramping for the month, but they are back with a vengeance tonight. Any chance the powdered stuff will help?

freshfoodie

I could have used this a few days ago. I had the worst cramps that I have ever had in my life! I guess I will just have to keep this in mind if they are that bad again. I almost always have ginger on hand.

detoxing

Ginger is naturally anti-inflammatory. That's the property that likely helps in this situation, although I think it may also have beneficial effects on the blood. The health benefits from ginger do come from all forms, but I don't think powdered would make a good tea. You can likely buy ginger tea at your nearest health or natural food store, though.

Sage

I didn't know that ginger would do that either. I do know that it will help with migraines if you take some right when the headache first starts to occur.