Garlic is a natural tick deterrent

I have heard in the past that the herb garlic can be used as a natural tick deterrent. We do a lot of camping up north and I have tried this method and it works. My family and I will eat garlic raw with pretzel sticks as well as cook many different meals with fresh garlic. I have noticed less ticks on me as well as my entire family since we have been doing this.
I actually found a dead tick in my daughter's hair. I think the tick had bitten her, and the garlic was so toxic to the tick that it just died.

Have any of you tried this method before? Thought I would share!

hunysukle

Thank your for that tip. I have not heard about garlic being used for ticks, but I can say that garlic works well for curing infections. About three months ago I had a bad staph infection on my inner thigh. I didn't want to have to go to the doctor, so I was trying home remedies. Witch hazel didn't really help much, so I started eating a clove of garlic a day. After about three days I noticed my staph infection was getting better! After about a week my staph infection was almost completely gone. Before I ate the garlic, I had the staph for about 2 1/2 weeks. I'm so thankful for garlic!

jason

Have a great day
Garlic can work for ticks, yes. It will also help with mosquito's too.

A little spray someone sent me, but I have to try:
Take 3 ounces of finely minced garlic and pour 2 teaspoons of mineral oil over it and let it soak overnight.
Fill spray bottle about 3/4 the way full with tap water. Add 1/4 ounce dish detergent to spray bottle. Add the garlic/mineral oil mixture to spray bottle. Shake well. If the garlic clogs the spray, you may want to strain it out.

strawberry

I hadn't heard about the garlic repellent for ticks idea before. We tend to have ticks in our woods and our dog always seems to have one stuck to him after we've been for a walk. I wonder if the spray would work on dogs?

Somniate

I hadn't heard about garlic being good at keeping ticks away! This is just another reason to add to my list of why I love garlic, I guess.

I had heard somewhere that catnip was also good at keeping mosquitoes away? I hesitate to use it however, being in a house with several cats and not wishing to be horribly scratched up from cats looking for a high...

jason

Have a great day
I hadn't heard about garlic being good at keeping ticks away! This is just another reason to add to my list of why I love garlic, I guess.

I had heard somewhere that catnip was also good at keeping mosquitoes away? I hesitate to use it however, being in a house with several cats and not wishing to be horribly scratched up from cats looking for a high...
I hang catnip in a basket near our main sliding door on the back porch. I also plant marigolds this time of year around the back porch. I have three big planters inside the porch with citronella plants and marigolds.

clewand550

Thanks for these tips on garlic. I haven't heard this before. This is why I love this forum so much. I am always learning new things on this forum. I will certainly have to remember this since we are up in the north woods often where it is heavily wooded. Our backyard is also completely wooded. Both of my dogs have been tested positive for lyme disease. This is something that I will have to remember for them as well. Thank you for sharing this useful information.

Garlic can work for ticks, yes. It will also help with mosquito's too.

A little spray someone sent me, but I have to try:
Take 3 ounces of finely minced garlic and pour 2 teaspoons of mineral oil over it and let it soak overnight.
Fill spray bottle about 3/4 the way full with tap water. Add 1/4 ounce dish detergent to spray bottle. Add the garlic/mineral oil mixture to spray bottle. Shake well. If the garlic clogs the spray, you may want to strain it out.
Does spraying some liquid garlic spray on your skin make your skin smell like garlic? I suppose it wouldn't be any worse than the mosquito spray. Plus much healthier too. Have you tried it before? Does it work pretty well?

jason

Have a great day
Does spraying some liquid garlic spray on your skin make your skin smell like garlic? I suppose it wouldn't be any worse than the mosquito spray. Plus much healthier too. Have you tried it before? Does it work pretty well?
I haven't tried it, but it was sent from a friend. They told me it works well. I may have to try it this year. We get something called no-see-ums here. The real name is Ceratopogonidae, please do not ask me to pronounce that. But they are small flies 1-4mm long, and are just as bad as mosquito's.

Carolynn

Thanks for the information about garlic and ticks! We are having a big problem with ticks here this year and have been looking for ways to treat the house and yard. I have no issues with treating us too though. I like garlic!

rymick

Ticks are back in full force over here! This is great information. Do you think ingesting the garlic is more or less affective than rubbing it on, wearing a clove around the neck or in your pocket or something else outside the body? Of course, the smell won't be too appealing but I figure if the kids are just going out ot play, they'll likely need a shower when they're done anyway.

Any thoughts on if it would deter other insects as well, like misquitos?

Sounds like good news for me. I eat garlic by the handfuls. Raw, too. Haven't tested it for efficacy against ticks and mosquitoes, though.

I haven't tried it, but it was sent from a friend. They told me it works well. I may have to try it this year. We get something called no-see-ums here. The real name is Ceratopogonidae, please do not ask me to pronounce that. But they are small flies 1-4mm long, and are just as bad as mosquito's.
Ha ha!!! We have those "No see 'ems", too!!! I hate those bugs!! Also, thanks for the garlic spray recipe. We're always looking for a way to repel bugs that doesn't involve Deet.

Does anyone know if garlic safe for dogs? I've already found about 10 ticks on each of my dogs just this month alone!

shaunche

I never knew this, thanks for sharing. I love garlic, I use it every day in most of the meals I cook. Garlic is also a powerful cleanser.

dissn_it

LOL, we have the no-see-ums, too! They hurt pretty bad when they get ya. I haven't heard of the garlic repellant before but will have to give it a try. It would be really good if it works on the no-see-ums, too!

I don't think I could do this, as garlic is also a people-deterrent, haha! But then again, we also don't get a whole lot of ticks around my way. I wonder though if it also deters mosquitoes? Because then I might be tempted.

Thank you for this tip! I have never heard of this before, but will definitely have to try this because the ticks are running rampant in my chicken run! Heck, my husband just walked in the run yesterday and had one on his head later on in the night!

CityGirlLuv

I have heard in the past that the herb garlic can be used as a natural tick deterrent. We do a lot of camping up north and I have tried this method and it works. My family and I will eat garlic raw with pretzel sticks as well as cook many different meals with fresh garlic. I have noticed less ticks on me as well as my entire family since we have been doing this.
I actually found a dead tick in my daughter's hair. I think the tick had bitten her, and the garlic was so toxic to the tick that it just died.

Have any of you tried this method before? Thought I would share!
I've heard this before and I'm pretty sure it's true as garlic well can have a smell to it lol. Weirdly, I like the smell of garlic, just not that of onions. I've read some people even give it to their dogs and it keeps them tick-free, but I'm scared for my dog to ingest it so I may rub some on him just to see how he takes it.