Garlic as a food and supplement

Charmeuse

I have been taking garlic for years now and I find the benefits extremely helpful in my life. I used to be sick all the time. I started supplementing with a good multivitamin and taking garlic capsules. I can say that now I no longer get sick. Garlic is a potent natural antibiotic. Germs cannot build resistance to garlic like they can with antibiotic medications. There have been studies made on the effects of taking garlic and the benefits are surprising. Not only is blood pressure reduced and immunity boosted, but it has some anti-cancer effects as well.

Sugarhill

Yeah, I have heard this before and seen it suggested in many places. For a while, my mother often ate garlic, so I believe that it can help tremendously. Having said that, I won't be doing too much with garlic as it's not something that I overly enjoy in large doses.

misumaru15

I know there are garlic supplements you can buy. This would be a good option Sugarhill since you don't do much eating. You get the benefits still.

Parker

I have also heard these things about garlic. Fortunately, I love garlic and always use it whenever I can. I can eat it everyday. ;)

Sugarhill

I know there are garlic supplements you can buy. This would be a good option Sugarhill since you don't do much eating. You get the benefits still.
Thank you. I believe I've seen the supplements, but much like cod liver oil capsules, I'm sure the garlic tablets would repeat on me. I've had some garlic on various things like bread and maybe some other dishes. If it's sprinkled on, for the most part I won't refuse it, but it's not something that I would reach for on my own.

AnonaMoss

I have garlic oil supplements, and I noticed a difference in my skin a few days after taking them. I love them. I'm not sure what they are doing for me internally yet, but it's encouraging to see the benefits of this supplement on the outside so quickly.

I eat raw garlic very often and I notice that it keeps my immune system very high. I like to put it in my food as much as I can. I will put garlic in almost anything from my soup, beef stew, stir fry, etc. I grow garlic in my garden so I always have fresh garlic on hand in the summer time.

AnonaMoss

I eat raw garlic very often and I notice that it keeps my immune system very high. I like to put it in my food as much as I can. I will put garlic in almost anything from my soup, beef stew, stir fry, etc. I grow garlic in my garden so I always have fresh garlic on hand in the summer time.
Do you have any trouble keeping bugs away from the garlic? I'd love to grow some myself, but I'm a bit concerned that the scent will attract unwanted guests. A neighbor of mine had mice in her garden. She refuses to use any chemicals to keep pests away. I grow tomatoes indoors. I'm a novice when it comes to real gardening, though.

Lena51

I know garlic has many benefits and taking garlic is very good for the body and it boost the immune system. I keep garlic all the time to cook with and to eat and also to make a garlic drink. It's amazing how good it is to take each and everyday. I love it because it keeps me moving and as said, you won't be sick. I don't think it will cause any problems for you because my sister-in-law grows it and I have never heard her complaint about bugs or anything in her garden. So go for it so you can have fresh garlic whenever you want or need it. The good for you medicine.

shaunche

I read a recent study which concluded garlic is much more powerful than the common antibiotics. I don't use a garlic supplement but I do eat plenty of garlic with most of my meals. I probably eat at least 3 cloves of garlic per day.

gina121

Garlic is one of those superfoods, but the garlic capsules didn't go down too well with me. It led to too many smelly burps and I had to keep rinsing my mouth. In comparison, I find using garlic in cooking does not leave much of an after-taste or smell. The whole family loves the flavor it adds, and I use a few cloves every day in at least one dish.

jovan107

I love garlic, its my staple ingredient when cooking. I also eat garlic raw because of its amazing health benefits. Garlic has many uses as well as stopping toothaches. I can't live without garlic, I always find a way to incorporate it into every meal I cook.

It's known that garlic can help reduce arsenic concentrations in the blood. I don't think that I am at serious risk from arsenic living away from industry. But I do take a clove a fortnight at least, just in case anyway. There are other health benefits also, but arsenic reduction is the most well documented.

Cassia

I have heard a lot about the health benefits of garlic and I know a number of people who take garlic supplement to help control their blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

sandooch

I have been taking garlic for years now and I find the benefits extremely helpful in my life. I used to be sick all the time. I started supplementing with a good multivitamin and taking garlic capsules. I can say that now I no longer get sick. Garlic is a potent natural antibiotic. Germs cannot build resistance to garlic like they can with antibiotic medications. There have been studies made on the effects of taking garlic and the benefits are surprising. Not only is blood pressure reduced and immunity boosted, but it has some anti-cancer effects as well.
Oh wow! How did I miss this post? In fact, I was just bragging on the benefits of garlic on another post here on supplements I take.

I will take garlic supplements for the rest of my life...I love them that much. Since my husband and I have started taking 2000 mg of garlic supplements daily almost 2 years ago, neither of us has had one cold or flu...not even a scratchy throat, and we both normally get between 2-3 colds each year. Our two daughters who can't swallow pills continue to get colds. How I wish they'd learn to swallow a pill so they don't get sick.

The most impressive thing that garlic supplements have done for my husband and I is it has killed the recurrent staph infections we were getting. I don't know if any of you have ever had to deal with staph infections, but let me tell you, it is a nightmare. They are extremely contagious, and we were told by doctors that once you get it, you have it for life. It can even be deadly if it gets to a certain stage and you don't take care of it. One thing the doctors don't tell you is antibiotics for the staph bacteria do not kill it. The staph only becomes stronger and more resistant to antibiotics each time you take it. So, the staph goes away after you've finished your round of antibiotics and will usually come back within couple of months. Then you need a strong antibiotic to get rid of it again. Garlic is a natural antibiotic that actually kills the staph bacteria. Within two months of taking garlic supplements, neither my husband nor I have had any more staph infections.

I know that garlic is great for a lot of other health benefits that we can't actually see going on in our bodies. But I just thought I'd share the two benefits I've been able to enjoy from taking garlic.

Sugarhill, my husband and I take Nature's Bounty Garlic 2000 mg and we have not had one garlic burp from them. To get the equivilent of this supplement in fresh garlic, you'd have to eat 20 cloves a day. Now, that'll surely give you garlic burps! LOL

shaunche

Garlic is very good for you, it is a natural cleanser. My only concern about garlic is whether it kills the good bacteria as well as the bad bacteria. Can anyone confirm if garlic kills the friendly bacteria? I'm trying to develop a healthy gut flora and I don't want garlic to sabotage my efforts.

FirstBaby2011

When my mother was diagnosed with high blood pressure, she decided to start taking garlic supplements instead of the medication her doctor prescribed her. When she went in for a check up, her blood pressure was down in the normal levels. I am glad that my mother was able to find a more natural way to improve her health.

sandooch

Garlic is very good for you, it is a natural cleanser. My only concern about garlic is whether it kills the good bacteria as well as the bad bacteria. Can anyone confirm if garlic kills the friendly bacteria? I'm trying to develop a healthy gut flora and I don't want garlic to sabotage my efforts.
This is what I've found to help answer your question:

Intestinal bacteria need to eat, and mounting evidence indicates that beneficial bugs prefer nutrients called prebiotics, which are primarily found in high-fiber foods including onions, garlic, bananas, artichokes, and many greens. Bad bacteria, on the other hand, prefer the sugars and fats found in processed foods.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/health/How-to-Improve-Digestive-Health-Good-vs-Bad-Stomach-Bacteria#ixzz26655ssdC

shaunche

This is what I've found to help answer your question:

Intestinal bacteria need to eat, and mounting evidence indicates that beneficial bugs prefer nutrients called prebiotics, which are primarily found in high-fiber foods including onions, garlic, bananas, artichokes, and many greens. Bad bacteria, on the other hand, prefer the sugars and fats found in processed foods.
I know the good bacteria needs fermentable fiber to grow but that doesn't answer whether the powerful anti-bacterial properties in garlic would kill only the bad bacteria or all bacteria. I've done a little research on this and I couldn't find a conclusive answer.