Exercising in sickness

Iben

Do you still exercise when you are sick? A well known physical educationist said that life is movement, and stagnation is death. We need to exercise even in sickness. It's easier said than done though.

BettyKane

Much easier said then done and sometimes just not good. If you are feeling really sick, like flu sick, then I really don't think you are going to feel like exercising much. Nothing wrong with giving yourself a few days to recover.

gina121

When we are sick, our immune system is compromised. The body needs rest to recover and regain its strength. If we exercise through an illness, I don't think we'd really be doing the body any good. Instead, we'd be pushing it to the point of over-exhaustion. That's just my take on it. I, for one, cannot even prepare a meal for the family when I'm sick. :(

misumaru15

I think sometimes you have to take a break and get rest. I think sometimes people take too long of a rest sometimes. You sometimes may not initially feel like working out. You have to push through. You often know the difference between being generally sick and just making excuse to skip a workout. Everyone has to walk that tightrope for themselves.

Kaybee517

Do you still exercise when you are sick? A well known physical educationist said that life is movement, and stagnation is death. We need to exercise even in sickness. It's easier said than done though.
If I have a little headache or feeling a little congested I'll still try to exercise, however if I have a fever, fatigue and coughing, I'm staying in bed. I think it's important for your body to get the rest to recover as opposed to pushing your body to the limit with strenuous exercise.

aphil

It is difficult to exercise when you are ill. I suffered a serious illness a little over a year ago, and exercise was one of the key components of my recovery. I literally started in my bed, on my back, with just pointing and flexing my toes and lifting my arms. When I was able to get up, I begin to walk. At first, I could only walk a few steps, and then I begin to build on it. I finally made it outdoors and went from half a block to going aroun the block. The exercise I did, including walking, I always did deep breathing with it and it relaxed me and gave me energy, all at the same time. I read in a helath book that exercise aerates the body like fresh air does a wet towel, and I let that vision encourage me. Exercise really did help me heal and become stronger. It isn't easy but it is so worth it.

shaunche

Yeah, I think exercise is important when you are sick but the exercise should be low-intensity. It's important to keep moving via low-level activity like walking. Exercising with intensity would not be a good idea when you are sick, too much extra stress.

I usually take a yoga class for exercise. I would feel kind of awkward and a little unsafe if there were a person in the room coughing and sneezing.