Exercise and diet

I recently started doing bikram yoga because there's a studio near my house. I used to practice yoga only a couple of times a week, and it wasn't bikram yoga. Now I try to go every day because it's so convenient. I have been doing to monitor my depression since I left the hospital a couple of years ago, but I recently noticed some unwanted weight loss. I'm already pretty thin, and I don't want to get stick-skinny, so I spoke to my instructor, who informed me that I should simply eat more, and that I should eat heavier food, i.e. more animal based proteins and such. I think with all the focus in our society on portion control, "dieting," eating lighter, and eating less, we often forget that yes, we do need to eat to live, haha!

I've been watching my calories, now, to make sure I get enough each day.

chabella

All Lady
That is a good that you caught it quick and were able to up the calorie count quickly. I met up with a friend, his wife and sister this past weekend as they came into town for a visit. The sister is very thin, about 102lbs. total and that is it, very sad.

gina121

"Unwanted weight loss"! Lucky you! This is one of the side effects of bikram yoga, I guess. I've heard such awesome stuff about it. Unfortunately, the studio that offers this class is quite far from my place. I hope it is helping with your depression too.

gar

I have seem some people doing yoga outside a couple of block from where I am. They frequently stay there and do the yoga thing and they laugh at times, did this yoga help you with depression?

Eating less doesn't mean you get skinnier. I could mean your metabolic rate will slow thus making you gain weight.

Lyra

I am sorry you are dealing with that. For those of us who gain weight easily, it can be hard to understand how hard it for those who are underweight to gain. My understanding is that it can be just as frustrating to try to put on weigh as to take it off. I hope you find a successful way to get what you need.

iampeebs

For those with unwanted weight loss, I would be happy to share some of mine. Seriously, I have never done yoga. Do you think that general yoga helps with weight loss? If so, does anyone know a good yoga DVD? I live in the middle of nowhere and there is one corner store here; no gyms, yoga studios, grocery stores or anything.

For those with unwanted weight loss, I would be happy to share some of mine. Seriously, I have never done yoga. Do you think that general yoga helps with weight loss? If so, does anyone know a good yoga DVD? I live in the middle of nowhere and there is one corner store here; no gyms, yoga studios, grocery stores or anything.
It does help with weight loss, as many people have told me, and specifically Bikram yoga and vinyasa yoga do. I'm sure there are dvds online that you can buy. A quick google search got me this link from the bikram yoga store: http://www.products.bikramyoga.com/index.php?cPath=5