Douche Kits

Pinkle

When I was on the feminine hygiene aisle at the grocery store, I noticed several douche kits. They seem to sell well, even though I've always heard that this is not a healthy practice. What's the deal, then? Is this something every woman should be doing, or no?

SoftRain

I don't understand why they sell either. I know they prey on the fear that women have of smelling bad, but douches are so bad for you. They can easily lead to infections, which of course make you smell much worse than any natural scent.

detoxing

Douching on an occasional basis is not going to hurt anyone. It's those who get carried away and do it too frequently that end up with problems. Your body handles that area all by itself, but there are times where it can use a bit of extra help such as after a problem or after a particularly bad menstrual cycle.

chabella

All Lady
I did this years ago and it was not a daily or weekly thing but more like "every once in a while". After I started reading up and seeing some first hand scary issues that other females dealt with after the fact, I stopped immediately. I have no regrets with my choice either.

nutti

I don't see a problem with it. I wouldn't do it all the time but on occasion I would think it's fine. Sometimes women feel "not so fresh" and they want to take care of it. I used to do it when I was younger, but not so much anymore.

freshfoodie

My gynecologist has always advised me against douching. She says that the cervix is a self-cleaning part of the body and douching is not only unnecessary, but it can also cause bacteria to get in there and cause infections.

Pinkle

Thanks for the input, everyone. I've always heard that douching can rid the body of the good bacteria, leaving you helpless against the bad bacteria. I think I would rather deal with the natural scent than put my body at risk of infection.

SoftRain

Bacteria and yeast exist in a delicate balance there too. If the bacteria count drops, the yeast goes into overdrive and then you have a yeast infection.