Do you feed Feral Cats?

I have several feral cats that I am feeding that live in the woods behind our house. I was actually helping another person do this but now that person has moved so I am totally in charge now. I am trying to get them 'fixed' so I don't end up with more!

Luvkenny

Is there some kind of program near you that helps with the cost to get them fixed? I do feed stray cats - thankfully we don't have a lot of them anymore. It's so sad seeing them outside.

Primrose

I just checked out "feral cats" on the internet and never realized there were so many. Is there any way you can get close enough to pet them? If so, you may be able to catch them and find good homes for all of them.

Aletha

Primrose, there is very little chance you could catch them and pet them let alone get them to let you pick them up or put them in a car to go somewhere. Please don't try to pet them unless they come up to you, then you still have a 50/50 chance of being scratched or bitten by a cat who has probably never had a rabies shot or 7 way shot. Please, please be careful.

Thank you for your replies. Well some of them will let me pet them while they are eating. Yes, there is a program in the county next to us that let me form a 'colony'. I have to bring them in on my own but can have them fixed, a rabies shot and a chip put in. They let me pay whatever I can afford, which is nice because it isn't cheap having all that done! I have to wait until they are eating and then grab the back of their necks (very fast) and put them in a carrier. It will take me a while to get all of them done but at least I won't have more to feed!

Lilly

I don't feed feral cats, but it is because we have so many of them. We are up to about ten around here now, and every time I turn around there are new kittens. I actually wish the neighbors would quit feeding them so maybe they would just move on. All of the neighbors are elderly so I know they aren't going to attempt to take them in or anything. Honestly, if the county could still afford animal control I would call them to come and get them.