Do not eat at your desk at work

Luvkenny

I see it all the time - my coworkers not stepping away from their desks during lunch. They sit there and grab something to eat. Not only do you eat more (from not realizing you are eating) you are also not getting that much needed exercise or break from the work. I always get up and take a walk with coworkers or just talk to them. This really helps to "destress" me.

iampeebs

I have found this to be true. If I have food at my desk, I find myself munching and can polish off a bag of chips without realizing what I am doing. I have found if I only eat at a table and keep myself busy, I eat less and don't notice the loss of food. Thank you for posting a great tip!

Carolynn

I eat at my desk all of the time, but I guess it is a necessary evil of working from home. I never eat my lunch until the kids are napping so I have to maximize all of the time I can while they are quiet.

gina121

Sometimes, I find it impossible to avoid eating at my work desk. The other thing I would like to completely stop is standing while eating, especially when I'm in a hurry or on the move. As a result, I never really chew food properly as is required :(

Eating at your desk is like not taking a lunch break at all. I used to do this all the time especially when I was working from home at my computer. I would get up long enough to cook, but then I'd sit down at the computer again to eat. Not only is this bad for stress, but there was the added "bonus" of getting crumbs and spills into my keyboard. Now when I'm eating I try to focus on nothing but eating, unless I'm with company. Then it's eating and conversation. No work, ever.

gar

Not only that. Its also the prime reason why ants and some insects crawl into your keyboard lol.. Seriously, I kept eating in front of my desk. Its not that I am actually doing important but I always watch movies online and since I don't want to pause a bit, I just eat crackers and anything infront of my desktop :D

Kaybee517

I'm guilty of doing this as well. I have a large volume of work and barely get outside to go to lunch. I do eat breakfast and lunch at my desk, but am also on top of keeping my space clean. I'm that employee with the Chlorox wipes and can of Air Duster for the keyboard. LOL

I'm guilty of doing this as well. I have a large volume of work and barely get outside to go to lunch. I do eat breakfast and lunch at my desk, but am also on top of keeping my space clean. I'm that employee with the Chlorox wipes and can of Air Duster for the keyboard. LOL
I was that as well, but I was working from home, so it was easier, haha. All the same it was annoying, because I'd inevitably get crumbs into the keyboard, and then I'd have to stop working and stop eating to clean up the mess.

I portion my food out and then bring to work what I will need that day. It doesn't matter where you eat the lunch as long as you aren't working and eating because then it becomes mindless snacking. I eat wherever but then get up and walk across the street to the mall and walk around.

sandooch

Yes, it can be similar to eating while watching tv. It is all too easy to get absorbed in something else while you are eating and go past the point of satiety. I understand that people feel the only way they'll be able to get their work done is to eat while working. But you really need to take just 15-20 minutes and go to the break room to eat. Not only to concentrate on what you're eating, but to get away from the computer for a bit to recharge and take your eyes off the screen.

Yes, it can be similar to eating while watching tv. It is all too easy to get absorbed in something else while you are eating and go past the point of satiety. I understand that people feel the only way they'll be able to get their work done is to eat while working. But you really need to take just 15-20 minutes and go to the break room to eat. Not only to concentrate on what you're eating, but to get away from the computer for a bit to recharge and take your eyes off the screen.
I agree. If you're working to the point where you can't even stop to eat, you're probably overworking.

iampeebs

I make a point to walk away from the computer, make my lunch, get a book and sit on my porch. This way I have specific portions, a break and some fresh air. Too bad that it will get cold here soon!

claudine

I don't eat at my desk, because I just can't stand sitting for so long in front of the computer, I need some breaks and lunch time is a perfect excuse. Also, I like to celebrate my meals, even if it's just a simple sandwich with tea:) .

I don't eat at my desk, because I just can't stand sitting for so long in front of the computer, I need some breaks and lunch time is a perfect excuse. Also, I like to celebrate my meals, even if it's just a simple sandwich with tea:) .
I so agree! A meal should be a celebration! "One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating." ~Luciano Pavarotti

Aletha

Sometimes I have so much work that if I don't eat at my desk, I would be there until 9 or 10 that night. Those days I not only eat at my desk but I also log in overtime. I do get credited for the time though so it works out OK.

Hyacinth

I am actually guilty of this. When I am swamped with work, I try not to waste any minute so I end up eating at my desk. Sometimes, I do it even at home when I am busy with my online jobs.