Do men smoke more often than women?

Leaflet

I was thinking about this when I saw one of my friends smoking. I think that society feels that men smoke more than women, but I think that if we had the statistics, it would be fairly even.

Greyhair

I personally know many women smokers, but I still believe that men smoke more than women. Different cultures have different levels of acceptance when it comes to women smoking, but men are fine to smoke anywhere. I am not saying it is fair though.

Novembre

Well, it doesn't sound it is fair but it happens. I am male, I don't smoke, and I have no issue with women smoking. Though, I agree that men smoke more than women do.

Elkheart

I've not noticed any difference between the sexes in regards to smoking. There hasn't been a difference since the 30's when it became "chic" for both sexes to smoke.

Equinox

I don't really know what the facts are on this. My mother and step-father were heavy smokers. I swear they went through at least a pack a day. When it came time to quit finally, my mom was the stronger one and basically quit long before he could even cut back.

Iben

I have never found any supporting stats about it, but most my male friends smoke and I don't personally know many women smokers. It must be just me though.

wonder

Honestly I don't know. I have more girlfriends that smoke than I do male friends. I don't smoke and I don't really like to be around smokers. I wonder if more men smoke.

Lena51

I would say that women smoke more than men if I had to guess. Women have more problems to deal with than men because women have to deal with the kid, husband, housework, and bills. Most men on the other hand only have to deal with going to work and coming home and kicking back after a hard days work. Whereas most women don't have husbands to lean on any more for some of this stress.

shaunche

I wouldn't know if men smoke more than women, it will not be a significant difference if they do. I don't think gender comes into it. I know men and women who smoke copious amounts of cigarettes, my nan used to smoke 40 a day!

dissn_it

I think it depends more on the individual than anything. I do know some women that smoke everytime their man lights one up. They say they probably wouldn't smoke as much if their partner didn't light up so frequently. Maybe there is something to men smoking more than women.:confused:

Mrs. Rogers

Honestly if I had to guess I'd think that women smoked more than men. This is just from knowing many male and female smokers and the females tended to chain smoke.

ashmonn

I think that the statistics would probably show that the distribution is more likely than not 50/50. I think this perception is due to the fact that we see more images of men smoking than we do women, so this may lead us to the erroneous perception that men do indeed partake in smoking more than their female counterparts.

Waynefire

Personally I think women smoke more. I know quite a few of my guy friends do not smoke, but almost all the women I know except my wife smoke at some point in their life.

writer811

I guess it really depends on the location. Worldwide I would say men smoke more simply women don't have the right to in many developing cultures. However, in a first world country, like the United States of America, I would say it's a pretty even distribution.

chabella

All Lady
Even though I quit quite sometime ago I still know many people that smoke, they just do not smoke in my house when they come to visit. I think its about even as well but I would love to see some real numbers on it.

freshfoodie

I would probably lean towards women being the bigger smokers. Maybe it's because all of the women I know smoke and hardly any of the males I know do. I don't personally smoke, I think it is a dirty, nasty little habit to have.

Sage

I haven't noticed any difference between men and women smoking. I have known both males and females that were chain smokers and couldn't get through the day without having a lit cigarette sitting in the ashtray at all times.

Aletha

There is not difference in our part of the country. However, there is a great discrepancy in the amount who dip snuff and who chew tobacco. I have seldom ever seen a woman who dips snuff even though there used to be a few older women who did. I had a grandmother who smoked a corn cob pipe and she enjoyed it immensely.