DEPRESSION FOR WOMEN

ghanashyam

Banned
Both men and women are prone to depression but women are more prone to depression due to their biology. The woman's brain produces less SEROTONIN, a pleasure hormone. The production of hormone reduces further after menopause.
The remedy is this, CLOSE YOUR EYES, SITTING IN A CORNER FOR FIVE MINUTES and within minutes the depression will be gone.

shaunche

Some really bad advice in that article. Milk actually leaches calcium from the bones, it is not good for preventing osteoporosis. This would explain why lactose intolerant African Americans have very low rates of osteoporosis.

Closing your eyes for 5 minutes will not clear depression, come on!

Some really bad advice in that article. Milk actually leaches calcium from the bones, it is not good for preventing osteoporosis. This would explain why lactose intolerant African Americans have very low rates of osteoporosis.

Closing your eyes for 5 minutes will not clear depression, come on!
Okay, closing your eyes for five minutes obviously doesn't at all get rid of depression... but I think the point they're trying to make is that making at least a little time for yourself every day will prevent you from getting overwhelmed with constantly serving other people. Also, they said it would help keep depression away, not clear it.

rayne

Don't think so Tim. Depression goes deeper for some people depending on what they have been through and how healthy they are physically. If I sat with my eyes closed for more than 5 minutes, I would probably be asleep. Depression really does hurt.

Melissast

Closeing my eyes for five minuets dosen't help keep depression away. The person who said that has clearly never suffred from really bad depression. Taking a bit of time for yourself can help, but it doosen't help everyone. Some people hurt no matter what.

Sage

I think I can safely say that five minutes with my eyes shut is not going to cure how I'm feeling. The time would be better spent writing in a journal and even then if the depression is severe that may not do much either.

artistry

Interesting. I saw a doctor on CNN once, who was treating people for depression and he was giving them Omega-3 Fish Oil capsules. He said they were doing very well. Omega-3 is also good for lowering cholesterol levels and reducing inflammation, which can cause pain. Cheers.

marchese

um, seriously.....no. I have depression, and it does not go away bc you close your eyes for five mineutes while sitting in a corner. Ridiculous. depression is an illness, you can just wish it away. I think it's disgusting that you would put that article on her making light of an illness that many go through.

bettyblue

Interesting. I saw a doctor on CNN once, who was treating people for depression and he was giving them Omega-3 Fish Oil capsules. He said they were doing very well. Omega-3 is also good for lowering cholesterol levels and reducing inflammation, which can cause pain. Cheers.
Yes, also Vitamin D helps a lot. Many depressed people have Vitamin D deficiency. As far as omega-3 there is certain type of omega-3 called EPA which has a great impact on mental health. Not only on depression but also on learning difficulties. When shopping for omega-3 supplement a person should try to find one with a good EPA/DHA ratio.

When a truly depressed person closes her eyes for 5 minutes, there is a great chance that she will think: "I want to die, I want to die, I want to die."

shaunche

Okay, closing your eyes for five minutes obviously doesn't at all get rid of depression... but I think the point they're trying to make is that making at least a little time for yourself every day will prevent you from getting overwhelmed with constantly serving other people. Also, they said it would help keep depression away, not clear it.
I have had depression and I know closing my eyes for 5 minutes would not 'keep depression away'. I agree that taking time for yourself will help you manage your stress but it will not keep depression away. Depression is a clinical illness!

Greenwoman

Sitting in a corner and closing your eyes is not going to keep depression away. I agree with the rest of this room, that this is a decent stress reducing method, but even then I think that being in a CORNER to find stress relief is probably not going to help as much as the center of an empty room.

I have had depression and I know closing my eyes for 5 minutes would not 'keep depression away'. I agree that taking time for yourself will help you manage your stress but it will not keep depression away. Depression is a clinical illness!
I have had depression as well. I was depressed for about four or five years to varying degrees. It was so bad that I was hospitalized. I eventually came out of it, but I had to learn proper management of stress to prevent it from coming back. I had to learn how to take time for myself. Of course, this is not "closing my eyes for five minutes a day" for me -- in fact, I was unofficially prescribed yoga while I was at the hospital and it's done wonders -- but if a person has a lifestyle where she literally doesn't get five minutes to herself, then maybe five minutes is a decent place to start.

artistry

Bettyblue, your last line caused me to laugh and I shouldn't. Depression is a serious subject, but that was funny. But then again I am crazy. Laughter is a great medicine for depression. Laugh more, it helps.
Thanks for the information about the EPA/DHA.

Sage

I have had depression as well. I was depressed for about four or five years to varying degrees. It was so bad that I was hospitalized. I eventually came out of it, but I had to learn proper management of stress to prevent it from coming back. I had to learn how to take time for myself. Of course, this is not "closing my eyes for five minutes a day" for me -- in fact, I was unofficially prescribed yoga while I was at the hospital and it's done wonders -- but if a person has a lifestyle where she literally doesn't get five minutes to herself, then maybe five minutes is a decent place to start.
I haven't been able to get back to it, but I took a Qi Gong (Tai Chi) class and just that one class really helped me feel more centered. I believe you are right --- the best cure for depression is to make time for yourself. Unfortunately, I often fall short of this goal.

Carolynn

Exercise can be a good remedy for depression, and St. John's Wort is supposed to be good as well if you are looking for an herbal alternative to pharmaceuticals. The St. John's Wort does take a couple of weeks to build up to an effective level though.

Hyacinth

There is definitely more to the treatment of depression than merely closing your eyes for a couple of minutes. I also think that for a depressed individual, sitting in a corner might not be the best position to be in. :)