Coca-cola?

Maternal

I know it's just me living in a cave, but I just knew that Coca-Cola used to contain cocaine in it (which was legal at that time) and was used as a medicine.

I don't know about being used as medicine, but I'd like to know more about it if anyone has more information about it. I'm almost sure the part about Coke containing cocaine is right.

freshfoodie

Yes, up until the government decided that cocaine was addictive and made it illegal, cocaine was in Coca-Cola. It was considered a miracle drug by doctors in the late 1800's through the early 1900s as well. They prescribed it to treat everything from depression to addiction.

Walter

Great info Freshfoodie, thanks. It sounds interesting yet ironic that cocaine was prescribed to treat addiction. Anyway, I read that cocaine in Coca-Cola is where the name came from.

kamcalli

I am not sure about medicine either but I know it does well with Jack when you are on a long international flight. It is the one way I could sit still, cooped up, at the time being a smoker on the plane ride to London (8'ish hours). :)

SaltandPepper

Cocaine was used until the 1970's as a vasoconstrictor for nose bleeds that wouldn't respond to any other treatment. I used to work as an RN in the hospital and we kept some in the emergency department for just that reason. We finally had to destroy it but it sure was useful when we had it available.

Natural

Most illegal drugs today were used as a medicine in the old days. I guess some of the drugs that we are using today could be illegal in the future, like some of the pain relievers because many people are getting addicted to it.

About Coca-Cola, I have a guess that the name was derived from cocaine but I never took the time to find it out. Thanks for confirming it.

Walter

That can be true Natural. I think it happened not only to cocaine but also to others. There were times when anabolic steroid was legally used by pro athletes.

juno

The contents of Coca Cola are kept top secret. In fact, many tried to decode Coca Cola formula with little success. However, recently the contents of Coca Cola were made public. Some are of the opinion that it contains pesticides. I shudder to think that. But, I love its taste. Well, some times, we need to take a calculated risk to satisfy our urge to drink.

Walter

However, recently the contents of Coca Cola were made public.
I also read the news about that, but it was proven to be just a hoax, right? It wouldn't make sense if Coca Cola revealed their secret recipe into public.

Natural

This made me wonder if the workers of Coca-Cola plants (or even Pepsi) have to swear that they won't tell to other people the ingredients for the cola drinks. I have a relative who works in a Coca-Cola plant and he never thought of replicating the drink but I have a feeling that he knows the recipe.