Clogged sink

Lilly

I woke up this morning to a clogged kitchen sink. I really don't have the money for a plumber so I thought some of you guys might know of a "home remedy" of sorts to clean it out. We already tried boiling water and that didn't get it.

Cassia

Occasionally, I pour baking soda down the drain, let it sit then pour boiling water or run hot water down the drain. I do it to clear the drain and prevent clogs. I think some use baking soda plus vinegar.

Lilly

I just read something online about pouring boiling water with a 1/2 cup of salt in it down the drain and letting it sit for half an hour. Then you pour baking soda and hot vinegar down the drain, let that sit and our more boiling water in. It sounds kind of time consuming, but it is cheaper than a plumber! ;)

StarGazer

I've never heard of using the salt. I wonder what that's supposed to do. All I do is put down half a cup of baking soda, then one cup of white vinegar. Let that bubble for 15 minutes or so, then flush with hot water for a couple of minutes.

herbalnut

Baking soda and vinegar can work wonders, especially when you heat it up to make it more effective. You could also try a plunger, as gross as that sounds. Your best bet with that one would be a brand new plunger or lots of bleach!

chabella

All Lady
I have used baking soda and vinegar before, similar to what you do when you need to clean off a flat top glass stove (which for anyone reading, is a total pain to deal with). We installed a garbage disposal I while back and I love it, I am actually amazed it still works. We use it all of the time and once we ended up accidentally disposing of a piece of silverware. We have to love it now, if it can handle food and metal it is solid!

freshfoodie

I have used Coke before. It works pretty well. You have to use the bottled stuff though. Other than that I would try some of the Mr. Plumber liquid snake or something. Clogged drains can be a big pain in the rear.

Lyra

Had a similar problem recently and got a few tips from a friend who is married to a plumber. First, if you have two plungers, you can use both at the same time, one in each sink. This creates a stronger vacuum to loosen the clog.

The second suggestion is to remove the trap under the sink. The curved piece of pipe is where the majority of clogs occur.

Good luck!