Cleaning with Herbs

pafjlh

I am hoping some of you can help me. I want to know if you are aware of any effective ways to clean naturally without using harsh chemicals with harsh odors. Why is this so important to me to know, I live with two siblings who have serious reactions to cleaner smells. One actually is coughing and gagging so much he can barely breath. The other can't even stand the smell coming from an SOS pad, that's how bad their breathing issues are. I have found a few natural alternatives, such as baking soda, vinegar and lemon juice. But are there any other types of herbs or natural solutions that you know of that I can use to clean with. I would really appreciate any help that any of you can give me regarding this matter.

aphil

I have a book called the Naturally Clean Home, by Karyn Siegal Maier and it has many ingredients for all types of home cleaning. It says how herbs help to enhance the cleaning power of baking soda and vinegar; especially the essential oils. Citronella is one they use and all the citrus oils because they are natural degreasers and are antimicrobial. Many herbs contain antibacterial and antifungal properties as well. The book lists all the herbs and their helpful properties. They use castille soap and citrus seed extract and so many more natural ingredients. I think you will like the book and it will help you. They have simple recipes and great instructions too.

iampeebs

Do you have a specific recipe for an all purpose cleaner that you wouldn't mind sharing here? I would love to cut down on expenses and not have to use cleaners that are harsh. I hate the smells of most cleaners on the market today.

Lyra

Borax and baking soda mixed in equal parts make a great cleaner. It is effective but gentle in cleaning in the kitchen and bathroom. Vinegar is another versatile cleaner. I put it in my mop water and a glass cleaner.

pafjlh

Thank you for the information on the book. I will check it out on Amazon and see if I can't get a good deal on it. I'll also be able to see what others are saying with reviews that they have left for it. I hope this book will have some good solutions of natural ways to clean and disinfect your house. I have really been at my wits end trying to find something that will clean well but not have any harsh fumes.

iampeebs

Thank you for the recipe Lyra! I did a big cleaning yesterday, but just redid my bathroom with both your ideas. They worked perfect and the only advice needed is be careful not to over use as then you will spend your time cleaning up streaks of the baking soda. Thanks again for a great tip.

Lyra

I am so glad you found it helpful! I was really surprised when I started using it. I couldn't believe how well it scrubbed my toilet and tub.

iampeebs

I know! And look at the cost compared to what you pay in the stores for traditional cleaners. Now if I could find a natural recipe for laundry detergents, I would be golden. Does anyone have one that is cheap, easy and works?