Chiropractor.

leyash

How do you guys feel about chiropractors? I've been wanting to see one for several months for this pain in between my shoulder blades, and in my chest (thoracic disc, most likely), but I am nervous. I've never been, and I've heard that it's painful.

What's your thoughts?

Meow

I go to one regularly.

It doesn't hurt at all. In actuality it's a rather nice feeling, a bit unnerving at worst, downright pleasurable at best. I've never gone for a specific treatment though, just check-ups. It really does make you feel better for a while afterwords though!

AppleMay

I guess I have mixed feelings about them. I know some that have gone and been helped a lot while others went and said they ended up worse. I really think it depends on the reason why you are going.

shaunche

Feeling apprehensive is normal because it is unknown territory. I was nervous when I had my first session with a chiropractor. I soon realized there was nothing to worry about and it actually feels good. They are experts, they will not make it too uncomfortable for you.

leyash

Well, it would appear that I have a herniated/bulging/ruptured disc in my thoracic spine, in between my shoulder blades. It is not officially diagnosed, but I can feel it a tad to the left of my spine. My back hurts, which is wrapping pain around to my chest, and down to my arms. No other symptoms, just pain. Better with ice, and with sitting on my fitness ball. I have HORRIBLE posture, and have for years. I sit at a computer to work for about 12-15 hours a day, slouched the entire time. I believe this is the cause of my problem.

artistry

Try to read up on some moderate exercises to relieve your pain. Also try a moist heating pad. Chiropractors can do good work, but try to make sure the doctor you choose is reputable and is trusted. Be diligent. Good luck.

Parker

I admit that I don't have a good opinion of them. I worked in medical insurance industry for a long time. The insurance companies look down on chiropractors so I know my view is colored by my work experience. I know that I need to be open about chiropractors because a lot of people I know say that they have helped them.

I used to have the same opinion about acupuncturists too. Then I sought one out because I was desperate. The doctors wanted me to have a nerve release surgery. I balked. Thank goodness, because the acupuncturist really helped me and I didn't need any surgery. The doctors were pretty amazed too.

Sugarhill

I would tell you to not go. I think there is about 1 in 50 good ones and I've heard more horror stories than I've heard success stories from people that made the mistake of dealing with them. I didn't work in medical insurance, but in auto insurance and they aren't the first choice.

The other thing that I've always thought about chiropractory is that just like your parents warn you off of cracking your knuckles as it is something that you will end up always needing to do, I think the same way with cracking other parts of your body. Once you start that practice, you start feeling as if you have to do it. It doesn't matter if it's your knuckles, neck, back, it's almost an irreversible habit.

aphil

Don't be nervous. A chiropractor can really help bring you relief. It is amazing how realigning the bones can get rid of so much pain and tension. The bones could be on some nerves or stressing out some muscles and just a few slight movements can bring relief. You may first want to go and get a massage to help relax you. Then take the plunge and see the chiropractor and you will be glad you did.

Nina

My sister went to one and he really helped her with her back problems. Her insurance does not cover his visits, so she can't go like she would if she could afford the treatments. He did more for her than her regular doctor has done.

leyash

I already have a chiropractor picked out. He's a friend of the family, and VERY trusted by us. I know a TON of people that go to him and have nothing but good to say about him and his wife. It's not seeing HIM that I'm worried about... it's the actual popping/cracking of my back. It just makes me nervous. Is it going to hurt?

I know that seeing a chiropractor is something that will need to be done regularly. As you do normal activities, you get out of alignment again, which means you need to go back. Seeing a chiropractor is something I truly believe in, as a first resource, rather than going to a regular MD. I also believe in natural medication, as well. Not going to a doctor to get doped up.

Meow

I already have a chiropractor picked out. He's a friend of the family, and VERY trusted by us. I know a TON of people that go to him and have nothing but good to say about him and his wife. It's not seeing HIM that I'm worried about... it's the actual popping/cracking of my back. It just makes me nervous. Is it going to hurt?

I know that seeing a chiropractor is something that will need to be done regularly. As you do normal activities, you get out of alignment again, which means you need to go back. Seeing a chiropractor is something I truly believe in, as a first resource, rather than going to a regular MD. I also believe in natural medication, as well. Not going to a doctor to get doped up.
No, it shouldn't hurt at all. I imagine it might hurt a bit if you have a medical problem in the area (as you do) but even then, no more than stretching that area.

beckyv1265

I have been to chiropractors before for treatment of an injury. I thought it helped at the time. The valerian root pills that he gave me probably did as much good. lol It doesn't usualy hurt.

leyash

No, it shouldn't hurt at all. I imagine it might hurt a bit if you have a medical problem in the area (as you do) but even then, no more than stretching that area.
I'm pretty nervous. I'm definitely going to give it a shot, just not sure when yet. Do not want want to wait too long, but have to wait until the money is there.

misumaru15

I think they can work quite well. I haven't been to one before. However choose one that passes the medical criteria. I know some people think of them negatively. However sometimes people are so quick to want to medicate problems into submission or cut away at them.

Esperahol

Well, it would appear that I have a herniated/bulging/ruptured disc in my thoracic spine, in between my shoulder blades. It is not officially diagnosed, but I can feel it a tad to the left of my spine. My back hurts, which is wrapping pain around to my chest, and down to my arms. .
Okay I know you are probably going to ignore this, but... do you really want somebody messing around with a ruptured disc in your spine? I mean considering what the "treatment" consist of, do you honestly think this will do more good then bad? I don't - in fact I think you need to take that to an actual physican and see what can be done before it gets worse, much much worse.

Pat

While putting up a'piece of furniture I pulled a muscle in my neck. I walked around with a stiff neck for months. I went to the chiropractor, it helped, he gave me some exercises to help with restoring my range of motion.

sandooch

Both my sister and myself have been to one after we were in seperate car accidents. We both found tremendous benefit from going. I was in severe back and neck pain, but after just a couple sessions with a chiropractor, I felt at least 75% better. It took a few more sessions after than to feel 100% better.

Pushhyarag2000

Though I have heard less about chiropractory, I'm very keen to understand from peoples' experience. I need to learn because I write articles on natural health on my site to help people choose healthy treatments. As an aside, why wouldn't you try something else, like homeopathy or massages? Just asking.