Chicken Soup and Flu

Hyacinth

When I was young, my mother would cook chicken soup whenever I or my brother was down with cold and flu. Well, it looks like my mom did the right thing. A new study has found out that carnosine, a compound found in chicken soup, can help stave off flu in its early stages. The compound helps in strengthening the immune system.

Primrose

I have read that same study and was amazed that it actually helped when you are sick. I found a great recipe the other day for homemade chicken soup and have it on hand for the first signs of any illness in my house. Old remedies still prove to be the best remedies, don't they?

Yes, I have heard this before myself. I love chicken soup. I would love to have your homemade recipe. I've been wanting to try and make some from scratch myself.

Valerienne

That's interesting! I always thought it was the placebo effect, but what do you know - our mothers and grandmothers are proven right once again :)

Greenwoman

I thought it was the placebo affect too, Valerienne. Honestly, I never thought that it was possible for meats to have any significant health benefits, but I guess I was wrong on that assumption.