Chest Congestion

SoftRain

I'm dealing with some rather annoying chest congestion now. :( I don't cough much but I feel pressure and achiness; I can't even work out like I normally do because my chest starts to hurt, so the doctor said to stop and I'm taking Mucinex. If that doesn't help me kick it, I have some antibiotics but I hope I won't have to use them.

konstantina

Hi. First of all, if you saw a doctor, you are not having anything serious. I mean more serious than a cold. I would suggest to get some rest, have hot baths with herbs that decongest and soothe chest pains, and drink chamomile tea. I hope you feel better, soon.

If you have a nurse friend, or someone related to the medical field, you could ask her/him to do chest physiotherapy to you (can also be anyone who knows how to do it. You can search the net for demos, too). Chest physiotherapy helps loosen secretions stuck in your lungs and can help you to easily get them out. This will relieve your congestion and can prevent lung infection. You have to get the secretions out so that they won't grow bacteria inside.

peacenik

Drink lots and lots of water. This can help to thin the congestion, making it easier to expel, and also prevent pneumonia. Why do you say you want to avoid the antibiotics? If the doctor prescribed them for this, you need to take them. If he didn't, you shouldn't take them without his okay.

Just be careful with the Musinex as if you use it for too many consecutive days it can have the opposite effect! I found that out the hard way. If this goes on for a prolonged time and isn't accompanied by a cold or other virus, I would ask the doctor if you may have some form of asthma. The way you explained it seems like what I experience with my asthma - it is often times induced by exercise and I'm not able to cough anything up. Good luck!

shaunche

My advice would be to cook up a spicy curry with lots of chilli, ginger, garlic, and spices. A spicy curry will clear the congestion. Even the fumes from the cooking will clear your chest. Give it a try.

SoftRain

Yes, I need to break down and start the antibiotics. I don't like to use them because I'm nursing and antibiotics increase the likelihood of thrush, which is painful and difficult to eradicate.

chabella

All Lady
I have never had much luck with Mucinex but I can understand the congestion part you are dealing with. About two weeks ago I was dealing with the same thing and managing two hot showers a day just to stay sane.

Suzie

Chicken Noodle soup is my number one recommendation for chest congestion. It feels so good and warm going down your throat and settles nicely in your stomach.

If you don't have a bacterial infection, you don't need antibiotics. If the root of the problem is viral in nature, as is often the case with a cold, antibiotics won't help. Did the doctor specifically say your congestion was due to a bacterial infection? I ask because I worked in the healthcare industry for years and many doctors ALWAYS write a prescription for an antibiotic, without even bothering to check for the presence of bacteria. They've been conditioned to write these prescriptions because the big name pharmaceutical companies offer them kickbacks, but it's not always in your best interest to take them, especially if you don't actually HAVE a bacterial infection.