Chamomile Tea As A Sedative

writer811

Whenever I'm sick or in pain, I drink chamomile tea. My grandma always said it helps because it contains a natural sedative. Plus I like the taste. What do you drink chamomile for?

Waynefire

I like to drink this to guarantee I am able to relax at night. I know the Lavender helps out with this as well.

Sugarhill

I've never considered it a sedative, but I normally reserve it for nighttime drinking as I do believe that it will help greatly in trying to get to sleep. Outside of that, I wouldn't have much use for chamomile as I think there are other types of tea that I find to be more enjoyable to drink.

This tea does relax your nerves some. I know when I am really hyped up I will drink some of it to help me sleep. Then I am able to rest all night and not have to be concerned about waking up nervous or feeling exhausted anymore.

dissn_it

I like drinking hot chamomile tea to relax but never thought of it as having a sedative. I guess that is why it works so well for me! It also seems to help relieve an upset stomach so I have also drank it for that purpose as well.

Carolynn

I drink chamomile tea for headaches, cramps, and just to relax after a rough day. Recently, I have been taking Valerian capsules and they work really well too.

Sage

I usually drink chamomile tea when I'm stressed and want to calm down. I'm not really crazy about the taste, but I have found that adding honey to it helps.

Hyacinth

I love chamomile tea. I usually have a cup at night because I find it soothing and has a relaxing effect. I also drink chamomile tea to help alleviate abdominal discomfort and headaches.

Jesi

I'm not sure sedative is the best word. Chamomile contains a natural muscle relaxant of sorts and this does have an affect on the overall neuron-muscular system. However most substances considered sedatives have a much stronger impact on said system. so you could call it a sedative, yes.... but it's not going to "sedate you" per se.

If you are looking for a sedative try the following:

Valerian (stronger muscle relaxant), Lemon Balm and Lady's slipper in equal amounts up to a teaspoon - do not put much more and do not drink this (did I mention you fix this as a tea?) unless you have a day or so you can devote to sleep....

so on a scale:

chamomile = helps you sleep
Valerian = removal of painful muscle spasms and soreness + sleeping
The recipe I just gave = zzzzzzzzzzz ... "dude are you in a coma?"

Lavender? I've never heard of that before. How does it work for you? Would you say it's stronger or weaker than chamomile?
I would necessarily compare them head to head. Lavender helps sooth the mind. the best way to describe it is through the old witchcraft and folk-lore viewpoint of it. It has an affinity with a very dynamic motive mind yet at the same time has calming properties. It's considers a sympathetic healer of sorts.

As to where Chamomile is much more of a muscle relaxant. This is not to say that Lavender is not but that it is more psychological in nature than physical.

leyash

Chamomile works great for helping with relaxing/putting to sleep. I also find that peppermint works great as well. I also love chai tea, but I like it cold, not hot.

writer811

Thanks, Jesi. That's actually very useful information. I was hoping that Lavender would be a stronger relaxant than chamomile but I think having it soothe your mind is even better.

Like many I enjoy it primarily before bed. The times I've drank it during the day has resulted in some drowsiness. The longer I've been drinking it I feel I have developed some tolerance to it's sedative effect. Other times I feel it lightens my mood to such an extent that it actually makes it more difficult for me to sleep.

chabella

All Lady
I love a good tea as much as I love a good nights sleep but for me lately my sinuses have been driving me nuts. I ended up taking the wrong allergy pill this week and slept in twice already, did not even notice they had diphenhydramine.

gina121

Chamomile tea has helped me with my nerves and anxiety. Not sure if it has really helped me sleep. Valerian tea, on the other hand, I find, is more potent and effective in giving me a good night's sleep.

shaunche

The active ingredient in chamoille tea has anti-inflammatory properties. I use it when I am suffering from constipation and feel bloated. A few mugs of chamoille tea relieves the bloating and discomfort in my stomach.

It could be used as a sedative but that would suggest you are drinking too much.

beckyv1265

I think many warm teas or even milk would relax and help you sleep. I like valerian root for relaxing my muscles. I don't drink it in a tea. I take it in capsule form because it stinks so. lol I am not a big tea drinker though. I usualy am drinking coffee up till bedtime. That is untill I pass out. I can never stay awake at night. I try to but after I put the kids to bed I passs out cold for 7-8 hours.