Cattails

writer811

Have you ever eaten cattails? I know that cattails are one of those plants they always mention in survival books as being nutritious and good food to eat if you're gathering food from the wild. Do any of you eat cattails? I'm not even sure which parts you're supposed to consume.

Kaybee517

I've never heard of cattails. Is it a plant? What are the benefits of eating cattails? Where is it available? Hmm...I'll have to do my research and look this up. I've never even seen or heard of cattails.

Jessi

I've never heard of cattails. Is it a plant?
It is. They look like this:

They generally grow in warm climates and on the water. The brown portion up there is the "cat tail" and when you break it open, it can be ground up and used like flour.

rayne

Well I'll be. I would never have thought about using cattails for flour. I just always thought they were ornamental and used for decorating. You never know what you will learn on one of these forums. Thanks for the information.

writer811

I never knew that the brown part could used as flour. You learn something new everyday on these forums! I always assumed that it was the shoots that people could eat. I live near a swamp and there are thousands of these plants so I think I might try the flour thing. Thanks for the info!

I never knew that cattails could be consumed by humans. I suppose they are a plant and most of them can be eaten by us. We have so many cattails here in Wisconsin. They are mostly common by swampy areas and by the river. I should try some of these things with cattails. Thanks for posting!

writer811

Thanks, Jessi! I think I'm going to start getting into more alternative foods and such and things like these will help me out a lot. Has anyone here actually tasted flour made from cattails, any part of it? Was it good? How does it compare to regular flour?

dissn_it

We have them in our area but I never would have thought of eating them before. It is always interesting what you learn on this forum!