"Cat Scans"?

Has anyone here had one of these? They think I might have a couple of large hernias and want to do a scan to make sure and check things out more thoroughly but I'm just leery about them. I'm a bit claustrophobic. :(

Lyra

CAT scans have, I think it is 500 times more radiation than an x-ray. For some reason doctors call for them all the time now, when often the course of treatment would not change without the scan. I would have another talk with your doctor and let him know that you would prefer not to get it done unless it is really necessary.

Luvkenny

I have had one cat scan. It wasn't a big deal except there is a lot of radiation. Have you had an ultrasound yet? Wonder why they can't tell from that?

Thanks for your replies. I'm not sure why they don't want to do an ultra sound but will ask the next time I go. I have another appointment in a couple of weeks (been putting it off) so will see if that can be done.

Primrose

A cat scan will give the doctor a clearer picture of what is going on with your hernias. It offers a cross section of the area where as an x-ray or ultrasound does not. Just close your eyes and think pleasant thoughts and you should get through it just fine.