bury the dog

chabella

All Lady
Our dogs love to dig and with one being a Beagle he always enjoys it. Lately they dig holes to lay in when it gets a tad warm out, we call it doggie A/C. Is this something all dogs do? I have never actually seen one do it before our two.

Luvkenny

Yes, our dog used to do the same thing. They would dig holes in the ground and then lay in them. I think it is much cooler for them (dirt is cool). My outside cat likes to roll around in the dirt, same reason I think.

dissn_it

I don't think all dogs do it but there are a lot that do. Our old basset hound only digs holes to bury his bones in. I think it is just basically pretty hard for a basset hound to roll around.;)

How hot is it out there? Dogs are very sensitive to heat since they don't sweat. It's harder for them to dissipate their thermal energy.

beckyv1265

My dog loves to swim. When we take her out to the lake she swims all over and then lays in the shade. Maybe a kiddie pool with some water would help.

AppleMay

Our dog used to do this all the time. He has some Beagle in him so don't know if that is a trait in them or not. He would dig a hole, lay in it and you couldn't even see him!

shaunche

Of course, dogs love digging, it is normal dog behaviour. i would be worried if my dog didn't dig when outside. your dogs are exploring and enjoying nature, as they should. It is nothing to worry about, unless you are bothered about holes in your lawn :p

Waynefire

Any animal will do this if it gets hot outside. It is really funny to watch my chickens dig a hole and waller down into it like they are pigs. However, if it keeps them cool then I am fine with it!

Yes. My dog was actually doing this, this past weekend while we were camping. My husband kept yelling at her for digging holes. I noticed that the ground was moist under the top layer and I told him that she was trying to cool off. Silly dog, the lake was about 10 feet away. She could have just jumped in there!

chabella

All Lady
The weather has been crazy lately from quite warm to a cool fall night mixed in with random thunder storms too. I have just never seen a dog do this and our dogs never bury their bones either (they don't last long enough for it).

ohiotom76

Show of hands, who was expecting this thread to be about something else, lol?

We don't have central air in our house, so I used to sometimes get all three of my dogs and put them in my car and blast the air conditioning for a while on days when it was unbearably hot. All 3 of their faces would be peeking over the console getting cool air blasted in their faces.

Jessi

Yep!

It's something a lot of animals do. I've actually done it myself even, haha. The dirt underneath is so much cooler and feels amazing.

Sage

Yes, and I was almost afraid to open the thread to read it!

Dogs aren't the only ones that enjoy cool wet dirt. Whenever it rains our horse has to roll in the dirt as soon as it stops. He goes from being white with spots, to dirty brown.

Carolynn

Yep, I was hesitant to open this thread too. Our dog is inside 90% of the time, but even when we leave her out for short periods she digs up near the house in the shade. She has herself a nice little spot dug now. :)

Yes. Dogs, especially outdoor/hunting dogs, love to dig. My dog will dig a hole to China if we don't stop her. It is a good way for them to relieve stress and burn some excess energy.

beckyv1265

We don't have central air in our house, so I used to sometimes get all three of my dogs and put them in my car and blast the air conditioning for a while on days when it was unbearably hot. All 3 of their faces would be peeking over the console getting cool air blasted in their faces.
I also thought that when I saw it.

pafjlh

Yes, I have come to this conclusion as well. My brother gets on our dogs for digging holes, especially the smaller younger one. The other day he caught the larger dog doing the same thing. The smaller dog also has a tendency to go over to the water pan and dive in, something else my brother doesn't like, but this only happens during the summer months. We live in Arizona where the heat can be unbearable, so I started to suspect that they were digging the holes as a way to cool down, and this was probable the reason why the small one would get into their water pan. We have to deal with triple digit heat, and its bad enough for humans to deal with, no telling how hard it is for dogs.