Body parts you don't need

chabella

All Lady
I just read the oddest thing and now that it is stuck in my head, it kind of makes a little sense to me. I figured I would share to see if others can think of anything else to add to the list.

Coccyx (tailbone), is this what is left of our "tail"?
Ear muscles, it seems humans used these years ago to flex the ear, similar to a cat when hearing a noise.
Wisdom teeth, no explanation needed here.
Arrector Pili, the things that give us goosebumps.
Nipples (male only), in the article I read these were called "embryonic leftovers", sorry guys, you don't need them!

2Nature

I remember a joke from 3rd Rock From The Sun where Dick was reading weight loss tips in a magazine. Harry read one of the titles on the side: "Logger loses his arm in an accident" and said: There's gotta be 10 pounds right there." :D - morbid but funny.

Cobbler

Nipples (male only), in the article I read these were called "embryonic leftovers", sorry guys, you don't need them!
Thanks, but I already knew that. ;)

Coccyx (tailbone), is this what is left of our "tail"?
Ear muscles, it seems humans used these years ago to flex the ear, similar to a cat when hearing a noise.
Kind of makes you wonder what we used to look like doesn't it? That's some very interesting stuff, thank for sharing it.

Cassia

That's an interesting list. I read somewhere that the tailbone is not entirely useless. It does serve a purpose. It serves as an attachment site for muscles, tendons, and ligaments. :)

Sagebrush

This is not funny, but apparently women's breasts are now optional. At least, according to the medical fear-mongers who encourage women to get them removed because they "might" get cancer.
I am still in shock over Angelina Jolie's choice and announcement. It goes against everything natural and holistic to me.

lolli

Funny list and not something I ever really thought about before. I would love to get rid of my "goosebump" maker. I hate getting them, I seem to get them all the time. Men would look funny without nipples!

freshfoodie

I agree that men would look funny without nipples at all. Whether they need them or not is a different story though. I wouldn't mind getting rid of my tailbone because it causes me a lot of pain.

chabella

All Lady
I think if men lost them they would just look like a Ken doll. I am not sure about Jolie's choice either, talking to my husband about it last night it is very odd that she did this without even having it yet, it seems somewhat like the people who think they have every aliment known to man, but no proof backing it up. And goosebumps? I know some people who actually feel pain when that happens, anyone know what causes it?

Sagebrush

You know, I guess I never realized it. But you're right; Ken dolls don't have nipples. I wonder if GI Joe dolls do? I think men would look pretty good without them. That is, of course if they were also as buff as Ken!

rayne

What about the appendix? No one has been able to determine what this organ is for. Why do we have it? Is it also left over from our evolution? Yours is an interesting list Chabella. Thanks for sharing.