Blood in Stools

SoftRain

I had a scary weekend after noticing blood in my stools. I tried to ignore it at first, hoping it was a one time fluke, but after a couple days I went to the walk-in clinic with visions of colon cancer in my head. Fortunately it was only the ever-embarrassing hemorrhoid. I never thought I'd think "Oh good, it's just hemorrhoids!"

I love getting older. :p

Lyra

Oh, gosh, that is frightening. It is terrible when our minds run straight to the worst case scenario. Thank goodness it was something manageable. I hope you get it cleared up quickly.

SoftRain

Thanks. I think things are much better now; at least, I haven't noticed any issues. It was truly awful. I nearly cried a couple times in the office: once from fear, once from relief.

Penelope

That's pretty bad hemorrhoids, though. I'm surprised that the blood was the only symptom you had, as it would seem like that would have to be pretty painful if it was bad enough to bleed. I've dealt with hemorrhoids off and on, since having children, and it can be terribly uncomfortable.

SoftRain

The doctor and I discussed that aspect, Penelope. Apparently external hemorrhoids are the ones that are painful, while internal ones can bleed with no other symptoms.

I blame having children for mine too. ;) I never had them before my kids were born.

Alli

The difference in color is also an indication. If the blood is bright red, then it's usually hemorrhoids. If the blood is dark, then that indicates it's something internal. Glad yours is "only" hemnorrhoids.

Trudy

Still, let this be a warning sign to get more fiber in your diet. Apples, blueberries and other berries are great sources. I just had a salad of mixed greens and lots of kale. After once having an anal fissure, I can tell you about hemorrhoids and related problems. You don't want one of those -- ever!