Birth control

Wow! Thanks for all the post here ladies because I'm really learning a lot! I don't plan to have kids anytime soon though so I'm so thankful that I've learned about your birth control pills!

beckyv1265

I believe the cut off date is 35. Its lower if you smoke or are over weight. I lost a coworker to a birth control related blood clotin her lung. She was only 33 years old. She didn't drink or smoke or have any bad habits. She was only slightly overweight. She complained of not feeling well on a weekend and then just dropped dead at the Nurses station. I managed to bring her back and put her on a life support machine . We shipped her out to a bigger hospital and they called back later and told us she had passed. Aparently she threw another clot. They determined that it was a side effect of her Yasmine birth control pills.

Mrs. Rogers

I always hated the pill and when I had my third child decided to go with Paragard, the copper IUD. I had zero problems with it and kept it in until my daughter was a year old. By that time I knew she could go 8 hours or so without nursing so I felt it was time to have my tubes tied. I also had a uterine ablation at the same time so now I can't get pregnant and don't have a period at all due to the ablation. Best choice I ever made!

artistry

I think that your gyn would be able to let you know what age is best. I just read that there was an accidental finding, by scientists while testing for a cancer therapy, and discovered a possible male birth control pill. Should be interesting, if it is effective. The pill is known as JQ1. May be coming soon.

Beth23

There is no cut off date. 35 is just the time when they start to closely monitor your health, history and need for hormonal BC. If your relatively healthy, do not have a family history of breast cancer, blood clots or liver disease and you don't smoke you can stay on the pill longer. Around the time of perimenopause the doctor will insist you use another method.

Cancer is not the big risk with hormonal BC. In fact it protects you against ovarian cancer. Cervical cancers and Uterine cancers are caused mostly by human papillomavirus which was unknown till just recently. They are not caused by hormones. The BC pill makes it easier for women to have more then one partner and that is how it contributes to HPV because it is a sexually transmitted disease.

Thank you, all very helpful information. I will definitely look into the options you've mentioned. I honestly wouldn't mind if my period disappeared altogether, it is very much an unnecessary burden. I don't really think its fair for a doctor to refuse though. I can understand to a degree why they would at least want to have a conversation with you about it. But this isn't an impulsive decision I made overnight. I still feel as though it should be my choice to decide whether or not I want surgery though, not my doctors.
It's fear of a lawsuit. People older than us assume that because we're young we don't really know what we want. They don't want to deal with the risk certainty that one day we'll change our minds and be very upset with them for "enabling" us in an unwise youthful decision. And because people in this country would rather sue than face responsibility for their actions they have to make sure they cover their butts.

SweetPea

I always hated the pill and when I had my third child decided to go with Paragard, the copper IUD. I had zero problems with it and kept it in until my daughter was a year old. By that time I knew she could go 8 hours or so without nursing so I felt it was time to have my tubes tied. I also had a uterine ablation at the same time so now I can't get pregnant and don't have a period at all due to the ablation. Best choice I ever made!
Can you give a review on the procedure. Id be interested in having it done but Ive heard its very painful.

Lena51

Why haven't you thought of having your tubes tyed, I know that includes surgery but you might be a happier woman. I have heard that it's only minor surgery and you will be well in no time flat. But I would say never have a hysterectomy unless it's an emergency. As the other ladies said, IUD is an option also. I had one of those for 10 years until I wanted to get pregnant again and it was no big deal. You don't even know it's there and you can't feel it at all.