Best oils for cooking.

Beth23

I was listening to a natural health podcast on my Ipod about healthy oils a while back and they mentioned two books by Dr Bruce Fife about the benefits of coconut and palm oils. I also saw a segment on Dr Oz about coconut oil.

Did a little research of my own and I was amazed at the studies and what they found about cooking with these oils.

Red palm oil can actually prevent blood clots and atherosclerosis preventing heart attacks. Studies also showed that it lowered total cholesterol in the volunteers who switched to using it. It does make your food reddish though so be forewarned.

We switched without changing anything else in our diets. My cholesterol is good but my husband and my moms can be lower according to the doctors. It went down significantly for both of them without statin drugs which I am totally opposed to. You couldn't pay me to take those things.

Coconut oils have a huge long list of benefits to health.

Increases metabolism
Protect the heart
Kills viruses and bacteria
Improves insulin secretion
Reduces inflammation

The list go's on and you can check it out here

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/index.htm

I hope its OK to provide a link. I am not associated with the site or anything.

My best friend switched with me and it helped her gall stones and her fibromyalgia disappeared which we both found amazing.

Who new just changing your oil could do so much. I still use olive oils on occasion but I stay away from all the supermarket corn and vegetable oils, they are gone from our diets for good.

Beth

shaunche

Oils high in saturated fat are best because saturated fat is the most stable. Vegetable oils are dangerous, I never use them. I usually cook with butter or animal fat because coconut oil is expensive. I've never tried red palm oil but I know about the health benefits.

Kaybee517

I usually cook with Extra Virgin Olive oil for 90% of my cooking. If I happen to make fried chicken, I'll do vegtable oil, however I don't use it often as it's not good for you.

rayne

I switched to olive oil several years ago to prevent the clogging of our arteries. However, sounds like coconut oil is a better choice. Where do you buy coconut oil? Is it expensive? Do let us know.

jovan107

I use both Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (EVCO) for cooking. I also use them on my hair and skin. EVOO and EVCO has amazing health benefits. I stopped using vegetable oil about 8 years ago, when my mom suggested cooking with EVCO can help me lose weight.

aphil

I am so glad to hear you no longer consume the supermarket brand corn and vegetable oils. I switched to using only unrefined oils and my health instantly took a upward turn. I am so blessed that my community has a business where oils are pressed freshly and I am able use these oils. I have used palm oil but I still haven't tried out the coconut oil. I keep reading positive things about it and I am really going to have the join the ranks of you who are so pleased with it. Thanks for sharing.

dissn_it

We use a lot of EVOO and occasionally peanut oil.I do like to infuse EVOO with stems from my fresh herbs so I do have a few bottles of it to use at all times. I have not tried the coconut or palm oils before but they sound like they would be really good to use.

freshfoodie

I use EVOO and have for over a decade. After reading the benefits of palm oil and coconut oil I might give them a try though. What is the taste difference? Can I buy it at the grocery store or do I have to go to a specialty or health food store?

iluvmario

I like to use both EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) or coconut oil. They both work very well and are much healthier that most "cooking oils". I use both in my skin and hair as well so they are good for everything.