Any Natural Mosquito Repellants?

curer

I understand that mosquito coils are not healthy to use. I am also allergic to perfumes. Does any one know of a natural mosquito repellant? Please share your knowledge with all of us. Thanks.

CrunchyMama

I have heard that imitation vanilla flavoring does a good job, but I haven't tried it myself (yet). I've also heard that Avon's Skin So Soft is supposed to repel them.

Aloe Vera

Herbal Insect Repellent
2 1/2 teaspoons total of any combination of the following essential oils: basil, cedarwood, citronella, juniper, lemon, myrrh, palmarosa, pine, rose geranium and/or rosemary (available at health food stores),1 cup 190-proof grain alcohol (available in liquor stores)Place ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake vigorously. Transfer to small bottles for storage. To use, rub a small amount on any exposed skin (test first to be sure your skin will not be adversely affected by the repellent) or dab it on clothing.

boobah

Oh I love Avon Skin so Soft! It really does work to keep the bugs away. Once I discovered that it was the only thing that I would use on my children. It is even great for babies with sensitive skin.

Jasmyne

A glass of "real" tonic water, daily.

The agent that flavors the stuff is derived from the same source as the drug that treats malaria. Army officers in India during the 1860's rarely fell victim to malaria, and a scientist wanted to know why. It turns out it was because they habitually had a gin'n'tonic with a citrus twist every afternoon. It does something to the blood to make you unappetizing.

If you eat bananas, that also does something to your blood, and mosquitoes as well as fleas will love you.

AngelaC

Rose-scented geranium works... and smells great!

Hello,

I actually owned an organic herb nursery here in North Carolina for 4 years, with 5,000 square feet of greenhouse space to manage on top of the outside beds... so I'm not exaggerating when I say that during the humidity of the summer, mosquitoes would SWARM!

I love scented geraniums, and would grow quite a few different kinds... forget about the citronella or lemon-scented varieties - the rose-scented geranium is by far the best in controlling the biting, and you smell good, too!

We literally had an entire 40-square-foot bed of rose geranium growing in the greenhouses year-round; every hour or so during the warm humid season, I would just go and grab a handful of leaves from one of the plants and literally just rub them all over me, to express the oil. When I did that, I barely ever got bitten!

azzutaluna

Rosemary oil is helpful in repelling not only mosquitoes but also biting flies, and it smells really nice. Eucalyptus oil is good for repelling TICKS! Even Vicks Vapo rub works great. Put it on your feet and legs and if in the woods, your pantlegs and shoes also, to keep ticks away. I have experimented with this at length--I live in the woods, and just walking 20 feet to the car its common to pick up at least ten! I even put a live tick in the sink, in the center of a ring of vicks, and the tick walked to the line and backed away, over and over. It didn't want to cross the line. They breathe through their exoskeletons, and it overwhelms them. If they get it on them, they DIE.
Eucalyptus is also very calming--I began to use it a lot as aromatherapy (I HUFF it, essentially!) when I was quitting smoking. I still do--now the craving for cigarettes has been replaced by a craving for eucalyptus! I discovered in a number of self tests that it lowers my blood pressure an average of 20 points after inhalation!!!! I took readings before and after, and it came down every time.