1 room multi purpose

chabella

All Lady
My den is also used as a work area when I have extra work to take care, it doubles as a gaming station too. I have since moved my exercise machine in the same room and it also doubles again as a reading nook when I want to just get away. When you have multiple things going on in a single room what is the best way to keep things separate (so you stay sane)?

Luvkenny

I don't know if there is any way to keep that many things separate. That is one busy room for sure. Is everything put away or kind of just out there in the open? I am sure it would drive me crazy.

freshfoodie

That sounds like my dining room! The treadmill and exercise bike are in there. The table we at is in there. The printer and fax machine is also in there. It really is hard to keep it all separate but I hear you about the going insane part.

rayne

What about some of those portable partitions? That, at least, would help to separate your activity centers. If you only had one, it would help. Some of them can be quite attractive.

Sage

You could try using baskets to keep the books and games in. I don't have a good answer. At the moment my printer is sitting on my kitchen counter and I pack eBay stuff on the kitchen table.

Basil Nut

I work at home a lot. We built a huge 30' x 30' room where I have a built-in computer desk for me. My husband liked it so much he sort of took it over. I added another computer desk, so we both work here. We have big end tables and a coffee table with big drawers where the kids keep all their play things. They can just sweep the stuff into the drawers when they are finished. I have hassocks that open with storage space inside. All the walls have cabinets with doors. There's a lot going on in this room, but we keep it fairly uncluttered looking.

chabella

All Lady
I really do not think its large enough for partitions but so far even with everything being out in the open its fairly organized. I was just wondering if there is anything else I could do with it, I guess without having an extra room to put some of the stuff in I might be up a creek.

ohiotom76

When you say that you use the room for "work" are you referring to doing work on a computer? If there is a computer in there for work and a TV in there for gaming, you could instead get an all in one desktop computer with a large monitor and do your gaming and work off of it together. And then put it inside of one of those computer armoire's with closing doors, so you can have everything tucked away when you're using the room for reading. You could even hook up a TV tuner to your computer (it may even have one in it), so you can watch TV while working out.

Lena51

I wish I knew the answer to that question. I have been trying so hard to figure that out and the only solution that I have came up with is this. Get a storage shed put it in the back of your house and store everything there in neat order and when you want to work on something then go out there and get it and when you are finished take it back and leave it there. Make sure you keep it neat, though and that way you can find what you want to do next. You have to be kind of like what you taught your children when they were playing with there toys. Put it back in your play chest when you are finished playing with it, do not leave it in the floor after you are finished.

I know you need to save space but get some stuff out of there. A multipurpose room is one thing, but this is enough for an entire house. I have one room that is a guest room but also doubles as a chill room or a mancave. I can't imagine a room really serving more than two purposes and not being cluttered and annoying.

Jessi

Give each topic a designated area of the room? You could help separate them by using area rugs that would act somewhat like dividers. Or you could get actual dividers to split the room more clearly with temp wall style dividers.

I seriously find it hard to work in 1 room with different areas of work inside it. I find it hard to concentrate. I made it a point to have my office just a place for my work on business alone. Although I'd suggest that in your case to go out once in a while to clear your head as it helps you concentrate and not be burned out or overwhelmed with all the things that you're doing. :)

Lena51

That's what I am saying, just have your office in there and all the other things you are doing in a storage shed outside and when you want to do other task, go out side to get them and put them back when you are finished. It would be a nerve racking situation for me to have all that stuff stacked up in my house for me to look at each and everyday. Your brain will get cluttered with all that stuff.

jovan107

Your multi-purpose room sounds a lot like the bedroom I used a few months ago as my office, den, exercise room, and guest room. My exercise equipment was relocated to my garage a few weeks ago. I think it would be a little difficult to separate everything that's currently in this room. However, you could invest in wall dividers such as screens, book cases, or decorative meshes.

Melissast

We live in a one bedroom apartment. Every rooom is multi purpose. I have my working computer in the kitchen, my husband has his games in the living room where we also have the t.v and all my daughters toys. The bed room doubbles as my sewing space. Nothing is seperated out though, and its a bit of a cluttered mess.

ghanashyam

Banned
Jumbling all and everything that makes a lot of noise is a good idea. I have placed computer with music system, radio and tv all in one room so that nobody in other room is disturbed.

marchese

i have a family room that is also a work area, and exercise room, as well as a tv area. I just keep things put away and tucked in places so that not everything is out in the open. Organization is key.

claudine

I have a multi purpose room, it's my room at my parent's home. It's hard to keep everything in order there but I'm doing my best. I have my bed there, a space to study, clothes dryer, a few closets, a lot of plants and much more. Oh, my dog is often there too:p