yoga?

chabella

All Lady
I am not that flexible to start with but I have been finding more info on yoga both on the web and from the few magazines that I get each month. I am thinking of trying it out, anyone here a yoga expert that I can bounce some ideas off of?

Greyhair

I am not a yoga expert at all but I like to do yoga. The rule of thumb I have been told is that it's better to attend yoga classes than to self teach from yoga books or videos.

Iben

I think you don't have to be extremely flexible to start doing yoga. There are a lot of easy yoga poses you can perform at the first try.

I have always practiced on my own and you do not have to be very flexible at all when you start. You will definitely be more flexible after doing it for awhile.

Novembre

I think so. When it comes to practicing yoga, flexibility is more a result than a requirement. Needless to say that you should start with simple and easy to do poses.

Paisley

I'm with you. I never tried yoga, but at this stage of my life, I think it would be easier on the joints than some of the things my friends have suggested doing. There isn't an organized yoga class around me that I know of.

strawberry

I have been attending a yoga class for about a year and I can't believe the difference it has made for me. I have more upper body strength and I'm a lot more flexible than I ever was. Whether you take a class or use a DVD, remember that yoga is meant to be done slowly. You'll notice gradual improvement.

wonderfuls

I might need to grab a few books and try this out, a friend has been nagging me on it for about six months already so better late than never right? After reading up a little on my friends blog its greatly helped her so I might as well give it a shot.

wildcherry

I've read that most yoga classes move fast, but there are also gentle "flow slow" classes. What's different from style to style is pace, intensity and degree of spirituality. It is a matter of picking the right style yoga for a beginner, then working up to higher levels.

chabella

All Lady
I keep hearing about the P09 or whatever its called but I am thinking about just picking up a normal yoga tape and see how it goes. Right now I am getting too much advice from people who do not even exercise, its nuts!

melaniedupris

I am not a yoga expert at all but I like to do yoga. The rule of thumb I have been told is that it's better to attend yoga classes than to self teach from yoga books or videos.
She is right as ever. It is hard enough to learn from an instructor who is in your presence! I took a class in yoga over one semester and couldn't imagine learning it just by looking. Many times my instructor used to come over and point out a flaw in my pose, which I would never be able to see myself.

I agree that you should attend a beginners yoga class to begin with. Part of yoga in holding the correct pose and your body form. The instructor can help you with the poses, show you how to do it correctly and as you progress you will get more flexible then if you wish to do it on your own at home, it will be easier for you. The hardest part I found about yoga was being flexible enough to do the poses, but I did what I could and now I can do the majority of them with no issues.

Sugarhill

You can learn yoga at home, but it would help if you have an athletic background. However, it's not impossible. The best advice that I can give you is to listen to your body. Don't force yourself into any poses. If you can't go as far as you thought you could, just hold the pose at the point that you are at. You may go deeper in the pose in few seconds after, it may not happen until a few sessions later, but listen to your body.

Take that advice no matter where you start your practice, at home or in a class.

I do Yoga with the Wii Fit Plus. Then I have a goal to work for, but also have a way to gauge how I am doing. This works out great and I can do it in the comfort of my home avoiding the embarrassment of the yoga pants for me!

I'm not a female, but yoga in general is a great exercise. It's been known to do quite a variety of different things for people, one of the top being reducing stress.

josh0322

I went to one yoga pilates class once. It was a hybrid of the two workouts and boy did it land me on my butt! At the time I was running 15-20 miles per week and I still was horribly sore after that piyo workout. Some of the moves were very feminine and hard for me to mimic but I made my way through it!