Will the affordable care act actually make care affordable?

I know I have health insurance now, but I seen a study where the insurance cost is going to go to 12K per year for affordable plans for people who make an average of 37K a year. Tell me how that is affordable?
Its not...this bill is going to kill so many hard working americans. Sad to see a great country being turned into a bunch of sheep dependant on the government

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk

artistry

Good point Esperahol. The exchanges should give people choices that make their health care more affordable. If people would stop listening the the GOP scare mongers, they would not be giving themselves self-induced heart attacks. Massachettes put it in place under Romney, which he does not want to own now, and the people are doing okay. Find out what some of their experiences have been, before you panic.

writer811

The affordable health care act includes an individual mandate which when it goes into affect YOU will pay a tax penalty and poss jail time if you don't buy a health insurance policy. If you are legally obligated to buy healthcare what's going to stop insurance companies from capitalizing esp. When you are paying for people who wait to get sick to buy insurance.
Think about this if the government really cared about our health they would implement a tax break for having a policy THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN A WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING AKA THE GOVERNMENT TRYING TO EMPTY OUR WALLETS SOME MORE! BE WARE

What stops the insurance companies from capitalizing? The same act. Insurance companies aren't allowed to make their prices unreasonable. Also, that tax only applies if you can afford health insurance and refuse to get it. People who can't afford it will receive help from the government or maybe even full out government funded healthcare. So your argument is invalid.

Every civilized country in the world has universal healthcare. It didn't break them, it won't break us.

Esperahol

The affordable health care act includes an individual mandate which when it goes into affect YOU will pay a tax penalty and poss jail time if you don't buy a health insurance policy. If you are legally obligated to buy healthcare what's going to stop insurance companies from capitalizing esp. When you are paying for people who wait to get sick to buy insurance.
Think about this if the government really cared about our health they would implement a tax break for having a policy THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN A WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING AKA THE GOVERNMENT TRYING TO EMPTY OUR WALLETS SOME MORE! BE WARE

...Let me just go ahead and quote myself off of a different forum.

1.Under the law, the IRS will provide tax breaks and incentives to help pay for health insurance and impose penalties on some people who don't buy coverage and on some businesses that don't offer it to employees.

2.Treasury spokeswoman Sabrina Siddiqui said, "The overwhelming majority of funds used by the agency to implement the Affordable Care Act go to administer the premium tax credits, which will be a tax cut averaging about $4,000 for more than 20 million middle-class people and families."

3.Those who don't get qualified health insurance will be required to pay the penalty — or tax — starting for the 2014 tax year, unless they are exempt because of low income, religious beliefs, or because they are members of American Indian tribes.

4.The law, however, severely limits the ability of the IRS to collect the penalties. There are no civil or criminal penalties for refusing to pay it and the IRS cannot seize bank accounts or dock wages to collect it. No interest accumulates for unpaid penalties.
So yeah if they gave me a fee, I could totally get away with not paying it. You really should read up on what the law actually says rather than what you think it means.

What's the point of the mandate? The government hoping ppl will be generous and give them money? I don't buy it...I'm sure they know most people would buckle and pay the fine rather than hire a tax attorney to fight the irs

writer811

Well, if you can afford healthcare but don't want it, you can afford the alternative tax. Or, you know, you could just get something that will benefit you for the rest of your life. And if you don't make enough money for either, like Esperahol said, you're exempt from it. I wish the IRS did have the power to make you pay the fine.