Whole foods diet

Lyra

I am exploring the idea of a whole foods diet. I think that many of our health and obesity problems can be traced back to processed foods.

But I am a little intimidated. Cooking everything from scratch is very time-consuming. I enjoy cooking, but I don't want to spend all day in the kitchen.

Any tips?

shaunche

cooking food from scratch is not necessarily time consuming. How long does it take to boil an egg? How long does it take to boil broccoli or cook chicken breast in a pan? Other foods which require longer cooking time can be left in the oven or on the stove why you get on with what you need to do.

jovan107

I would suggest maybe preparing meals for 1-2 days and refrigerate it until your ready to use. I do not eat processed food, everything is made from scratch. I normally prepared my meals 1-2 days in advance before I started to work from home. If you try this make sure whatever meals you prepare is stored properly.

Lyra

These are some good points. I guess I will start with focusing on simple recipes until I get better at managing my time. And the idea of preparing meals ahead of time makes me realize that I could prep more vegetables then I need for one recipe to keep on hand for other recipes later in the week.

Start small and try and do something towards your goal everyday. It's difficult to imagine making the switch 100% all in one go. Changing your diet isn't just changing what you eat, it is a lifestyle change.

Parker

I have made the switch and I feel better for it. I have lost 20 pounds in the last 8 weeks. The weight is still coming off too! I'm single without kids, so my life is relatively simple. I make simple meals. I don't make anything complicated so I don't really spend a lot of time cooking in the kitchen. Another benefit, my grocery money goes farther because I'm not spending a lot of packaged foods.

Lyra

Start small and try and do something towards your goal everyday. It's difficult to imagine making the switch 100% all in one go. Changing your diet isn't just changing what you eat, it is a lifestyle change.
I always forget that! I don't know why I feel like I have to make the whole change at once. But I know it sticks better if you do it slowly. Thanks for this reminder.

Parker, wow. 20 pounds in 8 weeks is amazing! That is a real motivator for me.

mitzypisi

I cook everyday something different but simple. I am a vegetarian so my meals are very tasty and the range of products is very large. I love to prepare meals that need salad or fresh tomatoes as side dish, so I don't eat too much bread.
Oh, and a fruit is mandatory before each meal. I like to eat an apple while cooking.

FirstBaby2011

You've been given some great recommendations so far. I would also suggest using a slow cooker if you have one. When I worked outside of the home, I would put a cut of meat in my crock pot along with some vegetables, seasonings, and of course water. Then, when I got home from work, all I had left to do was shred the meat with a fork or serve, depending on the meal.

I've been cooking every meal from scratch for me and my boyfriend for about 3 years now. Haven't been to a restaurant in all that time! I love it. I don't personally find it time consuming, but I'm used to it.

My only real tip is to just decide that you want this to be your lifestyle and then do it. It's not only something I do because I have food allergies and need to take care of my health, but for spiritual reasons as well. It takes me about an hour each night to make dinner, and lunches are usually composed of leftovers from the dinner the night before. Breakfast is a fruit smoothie, which only takes a few minutes. Cooking dinner is a wonderful part of my day. It's a time where I get to be "in the zone" doing my thing without worrying about other stuff. There is no rushing. I take my time, build flavors, and go very slow. Rushing is an American thing (or at least, a "modern" country thing). I've done a lot of traveling in "3rd world" type countries and people are so different there. It's normal for a lot of people to live a slower-paced life, take time to cook meals, etc.

You'd be amazed at what you can get used to if you embrace change. Stop worrying about time and just commit to cooking everything everyday. It's really nice.