Where to Start

MarBell

I have not taken good care of my skin over the years, and it is telling it. Where should I start in making my arms, legs and face look healthier and maintain more of their natural oils as I age? I see so much here but I'm lost in it all.

The first thing you should do is exfoliate using a loofah or something similar and a good body scrub (I use a mix of 2 parts honey to 1 part sugar). Other than that all I can say is moisturize from the inside and outside by getting enough fluids.

CrankyMonkey

I would have to agree about exfoliation.I think it is probably one of the most important things you can do for your skin. I find that baby oil after my morning shower keeps my skin pretty moist and keeps it from drying and cracking.

wanderingherb

Start with dry body scrubbing. You get a brush just for this. They are in most stores with the "beauty and bath" supplies. It is rough very rough at first but be gentle and in circular motions brush your skin and do this daily for about a week, then just do it a couple of times a week. Its inexpensive, not gooey, and very simple and the best, so far, at exfoliating dry and dead skin. Don't do it after a shower. Do it before.

Hyacinth

I must say that moisturizing should be part of everyone's skin care regimen. Moisturize to hydrate your skin. Find out the best moisturizer for your skin type. My skin is oily so I use a water-based moisturizer. Also, drink lots of water. It's the best way to naturally hydrate your skin.

strawberry

Take warm rather than hot showers or baths and apply a rich moisturizer as soon as you dry yourself. At bedtime, you may want to use a heavier moisturizer like a body butter instead of a simple lotion. Oh and be sure to use sunscreen, especially on the face.

MarBell

Thanks for all the great tips. I did receive a sugar scrub as a Christmas present, but I didn't know what to do with it. Now I know. I'm going to go shopping this weekend and treat myself to a visit to the body and beauty shop.

konstantina

If your skin is really damaged, it is not a good idea to exfoliate. Start by moisturization and use your new sugar scrub a bit later. You should also learn to wear sunscreen. I get from your post that you probably don't. Sun is the first cause of aging, and we don't want that. So, moisturize, exfoliate, wera sunscreen and find a beauty routine that works for you and keep it. You can also take some Vitamin E to boost your start

mb_118

Hello! All very good ideas. I have a bit more to add. What we see on the outside has a great deal to do with what we are putting on the inside.
-Drink lots of water. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
-Consider supplements for hair, skin, and nails.

That's my two cents today! And...exfoliate, but I think that's been covered. ;)

I'd suggest that along the exfoliation, you have to eat for you skin. Exfoliate using apricot scrubs from head to foot making sure that you put on a very good moisturizer after bathing. As for the diet, carrot juice and tons of water everyday will do the wonder. :)

hunysukle

This is what I recommend for you: start by wearing SPF 30 or above sunscreen whenever you leave the house. Start washing your face every morning and night with a 100% natural face cleanser (Burt's Bees works great). Stay away from commercial skin products that contain parabens and ingredients you can't pronounce. Keep your skin moisturized at all times by wearing a natural moisturizer. Drink lots of water and eat fruits and vegetables daily! It's very important to hydrate your skin to prevent aging. Put a natural night cream on your face before you go to bed, and refrain from sleeping on your side. Try to sleep on your back to prevent getting lines on your face.

shaunche

I would start by abstaining from the use of soap ad all other artificial products for your skin. Your skin is designed to moisturize itself. Using artificial products disrupts the natural process.