Wheat or Soy Protein Supplement?

2Nature

At the moment I can only supplement with plant derived protein so which of these is better for maintaining muscles while working out? Perhaps there is a better type of protein supplement on thew market that I'm not aware of?

Sugarhill

I would avoid the soy protein and look for either pea protein or rice protein. They both will provide you with the same amount of grams, but are healthier options. When combined, they are considered to be a superior protein to many other sources.

I've never heard of wheat protein supplements, so I can't say anything about that.

Parker

I would avoid the soy protein and look for either pea protein or rice protein. They both will provide you with the same amount of grams, but are healthier options. When combined, they are considered to be a superior protein to many other sources.

I've never heard of wheat protein supplements, so I can't say anything about that.
I am experimenting with protein powder supplements. I haven't heard of pea protein. Is that available as a powder? I like the idea of combining two proteins supplements to make a super protein. I haven't heard of a wheat protein either. Perhaps she meant whey or maybe there is a wheat protein.

Sugarhill

Yes, there are manufacturers that make pea protein powder. I made a thread about it a few weeks ago, but the one that I know of is by Olympian Labs. They have a vanilla and chocolate flavor, 25 grams of protein, non GMO, hypoallergenic, gluten, fat and cholesterol free.

I will assume that the Vitamin Shoppe carries it because I saw it in their magazine. I need to get back to one to get a jar because the curiosity of it is killing me. I think I've seen rice protein by Optimum Nutrition, but I'm not sure about that one.

Parker

I went to a local store called Sprouts. It's on the west coast. I found both protein powders. They had pea protein and brown rice protein. They also had various veggie protein powders which used pea powder as the base. I didn't write down the brand because I was short on time.

Most of the protein powders contained stevia. Beyond the bad aftertaste, stevia gives me a headache. I saw something by Raw Food ( I think). It appeared to be a super veggie protein mix with 32 grams of protein per serving. I had to make an appointment tonight, but I will go back to the store for a more thorough investigation. I live within walking distance of the store so it's no biggie.

shaunche

You could try pea protein or hemp protein. I know a few vegetarian bodybuilders who use pea and hemp protein powders. I'm curious to know why you can only supplement with plant based protein powders?

Sugarhill

I've tried hemp protein, it wasn't bad other than it has a very distinct, powerful, almost overwhelming taste and that can make it a little difficult for some to ingest if they are used to something else. I don't know if the brand that I mentioned uses Stevia, I hope not as that would be a disappointment.

Parker

I've tried hemp protein, it wasn't bad other than it has a very distinct, powerful, almost overwhelming taste and that can make it a little difficult for some to ingest if they are used to something else. I don't know if the brand that I mentioned uses Stevia, I hope not as that would be a disappointment.
I did see hemp powder at the store. I think the taste might be overwhelming. I tried hemp milk and the taste was a bit strong. Although, I've eaten hemp granola and found it to be quite delicious. I will take you list to the store next time. I was really surprised at the variety of choices.

You could try pea protein or hemp protein. I know a few vegetarian bodybuilders who use pea and hemp protein powders. I'm curious to know why you can only supplement with plant based protein powders?
I am lactose intolerant. I do eat yogurt, but whey protein would just cause too many problems. I don't want to use soy powder because menopause is quickly approaching and I don't want anything screwing with my hormones.

Sugarhill

I really enjoyed the taste of hemp milk, at least I think it was hemp milk. I was going through an experimental phase, but I'm sure it was as I would add the hemp protein and it made it more palatable to take the protein. Have you tried almond milk? That is unbelievably delicious especially on cereal.

Now, that I'm thinking about it, I need to get some almond milk to pour over my oats and I probably can cut out the honey that I need to pour on it. That's what I'm going to look for over the weekend. I'll tell you how that one works. :)

Parker

I really enjoyed the taste of hemp milk, at least I think it was hemp milk. I was going through an experimental phase, but I'm sure it was as I would add the hemp protein and it made it more palatable to take the protein. Have you tried almond milk? That is unbelievably delicious especially on cereal.

Now, that I'm thinking about it, I need to get some almond milk to pour over my oats and I probably can cut out the honey that I need to pour on it. That's what I'm going to look for over the weekend. I'll tell you how that one works. :)
I love almond milk especially the chocolate. It's like drinking a dessert. Rice milk and coconut milk are almost as good.

Sugarhill

I haven't tried either rice or coconut. I can believe that coconut milk would be good and sweet as most coconuts are. Rice milk looks a little too much like skim milk for me, so I'd have to take your word on that. I don't think I'm willing to try it on my own dime. Maybe if somebody has a fresh, unopened carton, I'd take a swig.

Parker

Rice milk looks a little too much like skim milk for me, so I'd have to take your word on that. I don't think I'm willing to try it on my own dime. Maybe if somebody has a fresh, unopened carton, I'd take a swig.
Rice milk is more like 2% milk. It's still delicious and really works well in smoothies. I'll be going back to the store on Friday with your list of recommendations. I will tell what I find out.

shaunche

You can also buy hemp seeds for a good supply of protein. Hemp seeds contain approximately 25% protein. Hemp also has a better omega-3 to omega-6 ratio than soy, although the ratio is still skewed in favour of omega-6.

Sugarhill

Rice milk is more like 2% milk. It's still delicious and really works well in smoothies. I'll be going back to the store on Friday with your list of recommendations. I will tell what I find out.
Okay, I think I'm going to a store where rice milk is sold. I'll check the price and consider it when I've actually finished up my 2% milk that I have right now. I'll look at the calories and nutrients and test it out with my shakes or something. I do like cow's milk and appreciate the fullness that it can add to a shake, so it may be a tough sell.

Parker

I also love cow's milk. Whole milk. I was so hurt when I became lactose intolerant. I was the last one in my immediate family to develop it, so I knew it was coming. We all love milk.

Rice milk is not a thick as whole milk. It may not be for you. Almond milk is much thicker.

Sugarhill

That's interesting. I didn't know that you could become lactose intolerant. I thought you either were or you were not. I guess it's no different from developing allergies over the years. I used to be able to eat peanuts and then one day I couldn't. I look at Payday commercials now with both a sad longing and an absolute fear. :D

Parker

I look at Payday commercials now with both a sad longing and an absolute fear. :D
LOL! I feel the same way about frozen yogurt! I miss it dearly.

I checked out both of the products you recommended. They both contain Stevia. I did find a few products without Stevia. Lifetime Life's Basic. It's a super protein powder. It had pea protein, rice protein and chia seeds. There was a veggie protein by Amazing Grass. Garden of Life RAW protein powder. It's chock full of great stuff, essential amino acids, probiotics, enzymes, chia seeds, spirulina. I purchased a single serving packet to try out in the morning.

Sugarhill

Definitely try out the one with the pea, rice and chia seeds. That will very healthy and filling. Chia seeds alone are something great to use when trying to cut or lose weight. There are so many ways that you can ingest them, but what I did once was mixed them up with some cherry Kool Aid and would eat it like that. It was like a Jello when I prepared it.

Parker

I tried the individual RAW protein powder this morning. It was like a jolt of energy. I even fit a bit high. ;) I mixed it with ice green tea with pomegranate juice to make it more palatable. I'm definitely going to stick with that one. It works out well, because the store is running a special on that one too!

Sugarhill, thanks so much for your support and assistance!

Sugarhill

Not a problem. I was just laughing as I entered this thread. We've taken it over.

I have to look up the RAW powder that you are drinking and see if they will post up the back label on their site. I'm glad it worked out for you. Still look for a bag of chia seeds, though. Google it also, there are so many things that you can do with them.

My mother thought I was crazy when I started messing around with them. A few years later, everyone was talking about chia seeds. That and Quinoa, she was like, "where do you find this stuff?"