What's The Difference?

Elkheart

I love yogurt. Whether it's homemade or store bought doesn't matter to me. I love it. Now they are talking about Greek style yogurt and I've been checking it out. I found it was a bit more expensive. So what's the difference and why is it more expensive?

heytacos

I have never had Greek yogurt or homemade yogurt for that matter, but I would love to know the answer too! Right now I still with Yoplait since it tends to be on sale a good bit when I need to stock up again (about twice a month).

Greyhair

I have never tried Greek yogurt either. Why do you think it is more expensive than regular yogurt? I hope it's not because they have to import it from Greek. :)

Marjorie

I'm not a huge yogurt fan in general, so I don't know the difference either, although I've heard Greek yogurt is supposed to be healthier for some reason.

jason

Have a great day
Greek yogurt is made from cream and milk, making it have a higher percentage of milk fat (butterfat). It is between 4% and 10% typically. Regular yogurt uses whole milk, and is no more then 3.5% milk fat.

Greek yogurt is strained, which removes water from yogurt making it more dense, firm and creamy.

Greek yogurt has more calories and more fat then regular yogurt. But it does also have more protein. You can get 0% or 2% to help with calories.