What, how and when you eat

Asturian

I believe that a healthy eating habit is not just about what you eat, but also how and when you eat. I read that some foods like cucumbers are healthy to eat in the morning, but harmful to take in the evening.

naturelady

Really? Never heard that one. I have heard that eating after 9 makes it harder to lose weight. I've also heard that cutting carrots a certain way releases more nutrients then cutting them another way. Not sure if that's true!

Iben

I read that some foods like cucumbers are healthy to eat in the morning, but harmful to take in the evening.
I have never heard of this either but I think it makes sense. It may have something to do with the cooling effects of cucumbers on your body, because I heard cucumbers are cool by nature.

freshfoodie

Not eating after 9 only really applies if you are going to bed at 9:30 or 10PM. You just shouldn't eat within 30 minutes of going to sleep. Actually you shouldn't go to bed with a completely empty belly because your body needs energy to get through the night.

strawberry

Wow. So many different theories about things. I've heard that you shouldn't eat anything after 7:00 p.m. if you want to lose weight. So much for the idea of a bedtime snack that we all had when we were kids. Isn't it funny how ideas change so much?

Paisley

I try not to eat after 8:00 in the evening, or earlier if I know I'm going to bed early. We also try to eat within half an hour of getting up in the morning. I know I feel better if I have mini-meals throughout the day instead of two big ones.

lettuce

The time that you eat really doesn't matter. It's one of those myths that's been busted over and over. However, if you don't eat regularly, your metabolism does slow down.

CrankyMonkey

Lettuce you are right, they have actually proven that it is worse for weight loss to go to bed hungry. I always have a light snack, like a small bowl of cereal, about 30 minutes before bedtime. If you think about it your body is repairing itself while you sleep so shouldn't it have the energy to do so?

SoftRain

I didn't know you weren't supposed to go to bed hungry. I do that all the time. It's not comfortable but I always figure that there isn't much point in eating if I'm going to be unconscious and unaware of my hunger within a short time anyway.

siddh

A healthy eating habit includes a proper balance in diet and the time interval between our meals. It is good to have sufficient gap between meals. Also taking meals at a fixed time is considered good for health. We should always take our dinner two hours before we go to bed. At the time of sleeping we can drink a glass or two of water. This helps in releasing the toxins and digestion.

Trudy

I don't think I can keep up with when to eat what, although I do find that grazing over the course of the day works better for me. I wish I could convince my husband, who wants three meals a day.

Maddie

I must say I agree with Siddh. Two hours before going to bed is a proper time to eat dinner. If I eat just before going to sleep, about 30 minutes or so, I find myself in the impossibility of getting asleep because my organism hasn't been able to digest all the food I ingested.

hunysukle

What harm does eating cucumbers at night present? I know that eating meat at night is unhealthy because the body can't digest it properly. However, I don't see the harm in eating vegetables such as cucumbers at night. As far as my eating schedule, I try to eat small meals every four hours to maintain my metabolism. I also eat breakfast within an hour of waking up in the morning, as well.

amy71219

I have never heard that eating cucumber in the morning was good and the night was bad. I do know that not eating after a certain time has been proven a myth. It's more about what you eat (healthy foods) and not when you eat.

BrittneyD

I have never heard that you should eat certain foods at certain times of the day. I watch my calories and practice portion control. I eat a small breakfast, have a small snack a couple of hours before lunch, have a small lunch, a decent dinner, and a small healthy snack about an hour before bed. I used to have a problem with only eating dinner. I just was never hungry during the day. My doctor was the one who got me on this schedule. She said it was healthier for me, and would help me feel better.