Using My Oils to Stay Insect Free

HealthyS7

Hey everyone! I am using my extra oils to stay insect free this summer. I use peppermint oil to keep spiders and ants away and eucalyptus oil to keep fleas and ticks off of my pets. What oils have you used for other household or camping needs?

gina121

I am a big fan of citronella. I use the oil, candles made of it, and even incense sticks. Keeps mosquitoes away and bugs at bay whilst camping. I even light citronella candles in the back garden during summer. I love its lemony aroma!:)

I never got into citronella even though I keep telling myself I'm going to. I've been covering myself in lavender though, to keep mosquitoes away.

Jessi

Citronella is the route I've gone, too. It's not as effective as some chemicals I've used before, but I prefer going a more natural route, so that's what I use. If I double up by using candles and physically wearing it on myself, then it helps to repel even more.

dissn_it

I have been using peppermint oil on cotton balls to keep mice out of our house. So far it appears to be working really well. I have also used lavendar oil on cotton balls to keep wasps away from our BBQ area. That also appears to be working quite well. We don't have mosquitos where we live now but citronella does have a really nice smell. I may to get a citronella candle soon!

Basil Nut

This reminds me I need to pick up some citronella candles for the back patio. Hubby has been working and complaining about the mosquitoes out there of late. With the diseases they carry and recent West Nile deaths, we can't be too careful.

Is there an oil or scent that keeps roaches away? I'm getting so tired of the roaches crawling in from my neighbors' apartments.

hunysukle

Using oils to keep insects away is a great idea! I love natural alternatives to chemical bug sprays. However, I've been thinking about getting those gadgets that don't emit any sprays or odors, but they create a "bubble" around you to block insects. I've seen them on tv commercials.