Unwanted guests

freshfoodie

We were camping over the weekend and my boyfriend invited someone from his virtual office to come and visit and hang out for the afternoon with their family. Unfortunately they took this as an invitation to stay the entire weekend. They ate our food, slept in our extra tent, and wouldn't allow us any time alone. Not once did they offer up a thank you or an offer of help preparing meals or cleaning up. How do you deal with guests like this?

gar

It seem like your husband hasn't made it clear about the invitation to those bold visitors of him. Didn't They bring their own camping materials and food of their own? I'd probably suggest your husband and his friend to hunt or fish in the nearby river for dinner :D

I'm not the most polite person in the world, but I would have told them point blank that they were not invited to stay all weekend and that gtfo means time to go.

Mrs. Rogers

Wow it seems that they don't appreciate your hospitality. I think that I'd have to say something like "Ok lets go to sleep so these people can leave."

2Nature

I bring a gun and a shovel, or maybe a big sharp knife and a shovel on a slow day. Hahaha, just kidding. But seriously, these dudes and dudettes will enjoy a huge lecture from me because I don't like to put up with this kind of behavior.

Melissa

hahahaha I hate to laugh in your situation but I had to since I'm so glad it happened to someone else for a change lol. My husbands best friends GF is the most unwanted guest around...unfortunately I'm the only one who thought so. She would do everything you just mentioned and we used to have them over 3-5 times a week! How I got them to come over less often? I let her eat my husbands steak, I told her to go to the bar with the boys for football, and I gave her my husbands last beer. Lets just say he was less than impressed and she doesn't come around as much :)

dissn_it

That is pretty rude for them to eat up all your food. I think I would have said that we don't have enough food because we thought you were only staying for an one afternoon. The way I see it, if they are rude enough to do that then you have every right to be rude to them.

misumaru15

I understand being hospitable. However staying the whole weekend? No can do muchacha! I would have politely informed them that we have something to handle. I would have told them we would see them another time. Some people will only go as far as you allow them. Don't put yourself out. It was your trip. Hopefully he won't be doing any more "inviting".

beckyv1265

I aalways try honesty. I saay that is was so great to hve you visit. If you wnt to stay you have to pay for a site. I would say that perhaps we can plan a joint trip at another time. I only brought enough food and beds for my family. I also think that your husband should have stepped up and handled his company.

amy71219

Wow! That is so rude! I don't think I would have said anything at the time because I'm just too nice but I would not be inviting them to anything else ever.

freshfoodie

Amy, that is pretty much what my hubby and I discussed on the way home. Both of us were too nice to say anything to them but we will not be inviting them again any time soon. He actually did say something to her because the neighboring campers gave her son a snack and juice and she didn't say thanks.

Laurasav

I had a lady's chocolate party and one of the guest's brought her young daughter with her. My house is not "kid friendly" and I thought it was pretty rude that she brought her kid without asking. I have a lot of expensive artwork in my house, which the "monster" thought she could play with. I was NOT happy! She also walked across my bed with her shoes on, a really big deal for me as I'm a well known germ freak! I was so glad to see them go home when the party was over. They've never been invited back to my home, nor will they ever!
At least it was just ONE afternoon. In your case, I think I would have completely exploded and had a meltdown. I hope you made it clear to your boyfriend that he's never to invite those moochers to spend time with you again.

Waynefire

When I have guest like this it makes me remember why I have dogs. The dogs have a good idea of when people have stayed to long and start eyeing the people. The person usually gets the point after just a short time period.

hunysukle

I would probably say something like "we don't have enough food for everyone, I'm sorry we can't accommodate you anymore" or "we weren't prepared for an overnight visit". If people don't get the very obvious hint, then straight out ask them to leave in polite fashion.

Pat

Some people can not take a hint, you have to be rude and tell them to go home. I will put a person out in a heart beat. It's your place and you do not need to be uncomfortable, because someone else is rude.

hahahaha I hate to laugh in your situation but I had to since I'm so glad it happened to someone else for a change lol. My husbands best friends GF is the most unwanted guest around...unfortunately I'm the only one who thought so. She would do everything you just mentioned and we used to have them over 3-5 times a week! How I got them to come over less often? I let her eat my husbands steak, I told her to go to the bar with the boys for football, and I gave her my husbands last beer. Lets just say he was less than impressed and she doesn't come around as much :)

I love this! I really did laugh out loud when I read it.

Lena51

Oh my God, I would have asked them to leave in a hurry. I would have told them that I am not trying to be rude or anything but you guys have to go get your own food because I didn't bring enough for you. And excuse me, my boyfriend and I need private time together after all this is why we came here. That will give them the hint to leave or say we are not responsible for you so toot - a - loo.

Wow!! That is crazy. Some people just don't get it. Nor do they have any manners. It's all about what they can get from people. I experienced this same type of thing. People being mooches. Ugh!!

They should have at least said thanks or something. Guests that don't appreaciate hospitality is just outrageous. They shouldn't take it for granted.

How rude! I would have said something. I would have told my husband to tell them that they have overstepped their boundaries. They were taking advantage of your kindness and that's not cool.