TV & Screen Time

SoftRain

A friend of mine swears that she feels more healthy when she spends less time in front of a TV or a computer. She isn't necessarily more physically active (she's an avid reader) yet feels better. Why do you suppose that is?

meowcow

Television is like junk food for the mind. You may not notice it at first, but prolonged exposure will turn you into a zombie. Well, zombie-ish. This is why the term couch potato was invented. TV shows are fun and give instant gratification entertainment-wise, and they should be treated as exactly that. You wouldn't eat 5 bags of chips to relieve you of hunger, so you should not watch TV to alleviate the same amount of need in terms of boredom.

peacenik

With the computer, it could be that it is wreaking havoc with her inner circadian rhythms. There have been studies done that show trying to go to bed right after signing off a computer will result in difficulty sleeping.

hunysukle

I feel like this myself sometimes. I personally believe it's because staring at a screen puts a strain on your eyes and gives you a headache. Plus, people may mentally feel better when they aren't glued to a gadget.

Sarah C.

I think you have so much information and images coming at you from both the computer and the TV, that it overstimulates our senses. It takes a while for me relax and calm my mind after I have spent a lot of time in front of the TV and the computer. You can especially notice this in children. They are much calmer and happier, in my experience, when they have limited time on both.

strawberry

It could even be something as simple as posture. When you're in front of the TV you may be lying on the couch or slumped over comfortably, but I bet your back isn't nice and straight. And even with computer chairs, there's a tendency to hunch over. The overall result for both is that you can end up feeling kind of stiff and sore.

Myrrh

It could be because watching TV is a passive activity. All you need to do is sit in front and let your eyesight and hearing to the work. This in turn leads to over stimulation of the senses. Sometimes, I experience feeling sluggish after hours of watching TV.

Lcd975

I think it has a lot to do with the types and amount of advertising done and even some of the types of shows out there. In one hour of watching television, I learned that I didn't have the right make up, shop at the right grocery stores, have enough toys for my kids, have enough car insurance, eat enough fast food, was too fat, not enough clothes, needed to contact a lawyer if I took a certain prescription drug, wear the right underwear, and that I had to know everything about every celebrity that ever lived............I can see why television drains you.

clewand550

Sitting in front of the TV or on the computer for hours isn't healthy for a person. You should try to get up and move around and try to be active in some way. There are so many different ways to be active, whether it is just walking around, using your brain to think, reading or being active to the point of working your heart. Being active is healthier for a person than sitting on the computer or watching TV. Even reading a book, makes your brain work more than sitting around watching TV all day long. That is much healthier for your body.

The TV gives too much stimulation to the eyes. We all know that if the body is stimulated for too long, it gets tired eventually. It follows that our eyes use too much energy while watching TV or spending time on the computer.

Trudy

Television and computer equipment emit something called positive ions. These are opposite of negative ions, which are those things in the air resulting from molecules hitting together in such surroundings as the ocean or Niagara Falls. There are more negative ions at Niagara Falls than anywhere else in the U.S. because of all the negative ions formed from the Falls. Negative ions produce the "feel good" effects such as those you experience before a thunderstorm. If you've been to the Falls, you know the natural high you get just by being there. Positive ions are exactly opposite and can lead to depression and unhealthy feelings.

SoftRain

That is very interesting, Trudy. I hadn't heard that negative ions will make you feel better. I knew that TVs emitted an electromagnetic field but didn't realize it had a positive polarity.

Parker

Television and computer equipment emit something called positive ions. These are opposite of negative ions, which are those things in the air resulting from molecules hitting together in such surroundings as the ocean or Niagara Falls. There are more negative ions at Niagara Falls than anywhere else in the U.S. because of all the negative ions formed from the Falls. Negative ions produce the "feel good" effects such as those you experience before a thunderstorm. If you've been to the Falls, you know the natural high you get just by being there. Positive ions are exactly opposite and can lead to depression and unhealthy feelings.
This is indeed very interesting. I didn't know anything about positive or negative ions. I thought the "feel good" effects from Niagara Falls was due to the magnificent beautiful of the falls itself. I do know that I felt high just looking at it.

amy71219

Trudy, that is really interesting and I have never heard of positive or negative ions. Everyone already pretty much said why the tv or computer can make you feel bad. Activities that work your brain, such as reading, can help with diseases that affect your brain like Alzheimer's.

mademoiselle328

With the computer, it could be that it is wreaking havoc with her inner circadian rhythms. There have been studies done that show trying to go to bed right after signing off a computer will result in difficulty sleeping.
Oh no maybe this is the reason why I haven't been sleeping well lately. Since its summer here and there's no more class, I've been spending more time in front of the screen. I guess I'll just have to adjust my computer usage schedule so that I won't be tempted to use it for the rest of the night.

artistry

Watching television puts you in a trancelike state, if you do too much of it. Your body can become inert and circulation problems can occur. It tends to be like riding an airplane for a long period of time, if you continuously sit and stare at the televison. Your body and brain need to be stimuated and have some kind of activity. Long use of the computer may do the same thing, eye strain, lack of body movement from sitting. Shorter periods of time for either one, would serve a person better in the long run.

chabella

All Lady
My guess would be that it is due to the glares both monitors and TV's put off, I still use a pair of gunnar's when I am at the computer for too long. They help great with the glare even though they are somewhat pricy.

A friend of mine swears that she feels more healthy when she spends less time in front of a TV or a computer. She isn't necessarily more physically active (she's an avid reader) yet feels better. Why do you suppose that is?
Television is like junk food for the mind.
^ I think that about sums it up, honestly.

Like your friend, I feel better mentally when I don't spend all day watching TV, even if I spend the entire day reading instead. It's about what's best for your mind, and I think the mind craves stimulation, and TV doesn't stimulate the mind in the same way that other activities do.