Treating depression with Aromatherapy

question

Is there a way to treat depression with aromatherapy? If so what would you use to help? I imagine lavender would be good, but what else would work?

Cassia

Some say that chamomile and lavender oils could help. Other types of oil that are supposed to be beneficial in uplifting one's mood are geranium and peppermint.

SoftRain

I didn't know that. While a passing bad mood is not the same thing as depression, I think I will try some of those oils next time I'm down.

petunia

Essential oils to help depression include lavender, rose, rosemary and jasmine. Since smells have been shown by study to effect changed in the brain, I am a big supporter of aromatherapy. It usually works best when combined with other therapies such as behavioral therapy and nutritional support.

Lena51

I agree with you on that also because aromatherapy can wok wonders for a person when they are depressed because it works with the chemical in the brain to give it that feel good that you need to bring you out of that state of mind. It is good to have something other than a drug from a doctor to use.

Tecca_Nina

This is something I am going to have to try. I've heard a lot of good things about it but haven't put it to use yet.

For depression I am not sure what would be used. However, I am sure that some scent can help you in getting to rid yourself of the depression.

dziomek

This is good information to know. I have "down" days which were more common throughout the winter, but that was due to a list of contributing factors. I will have to visit a health food store next time I am in a neighbouring town and see if I can get some essential oils such as lavender, jasmine, and rosemary. I prefer to avoid medications if at all possible, as many have side effects which often contribute to depression. I have learned a lot over the past few months in that regard and am ready to take more natural remedies for what ails me.

Aromasue

A good combination that I work with is geranium and lemon. Also try Maychang (Litsea cubeba) I call this the happy oil.

Esperahol

This is good information to know. I have "down" days which were more common throughout the winter, but that was due to a list of contributing factors. I will have to visit a health food store next time I am in a neighbouring town and see if I can get some essential oils such as lavender, jasmine, and rosemary. I prefer to avoid medications if at all possible, as many have side effects which often contribute to depression. I have learned a lot over the past few months in that regard and am ready to take more natural remedies for what ails me.
You could also try exercise, certain foods, and if winter is an issue the use of sunlamps.

dziomek

You could also try exercise, certain foods, and if winter is an issue the use of sunlamps.
I have had success with yoga in the past, but anything too strenuous was out of the question as I dislocated my shoulder in January. I am slowly regaining more use of my right arm, but raising it above my head or moving it too far in any direction is still painful. I do understand I have to use it, and I do; I have no problems carrying feed buckets but as soon as I try to lift anything even close to shoulder level it is painful. I did a lot of damage, but in time it will get better.

I think it is time to start working in some yoga time into my schedule (that in itself is going to be a project and a half - making a schedule :) ). There just never seems to be enough hours in the day.

Esperahol

I have had success with yoga in the past, but anything too strenuous was out of the question as I dislocated my shoulder in January.
You could try something like walking or jogging as an alternative to yoga for the time being. Or you could attempt meditation as a well of balancing yourself out.

Laurasav

I hate lavender and rose scents, so I don't think those would help me out of a downer day! Probably just the opposite! o_O
The scents I have found very uplifting are in the citrus family. I love lemon and find that to be especially uplifting. Lime is pretty good, so is orange.

Sage

I have read that the scent of lemons can help with depression. It is also suppose to be helpful when you are trying to study or need an energy boost.