To Fertilize Or Not To Fertilize?

When you grow a garden, do you fertilize the plants or simply keep them watered? We grew gardens every other year or so when I was growing up, but we stopped when I was still fairly young, so I never had a chance to really learn all there is to know about gardening. Now, I'm preparing to grow a small garden, but our soil here in Georgia is less than ideal, so I'm wondering if I should supplement with something like Miracle-Gro, or if that's overkill?

jason

Have a great day
For herbs, I barely if ever fertilize.

For veggies, I fertilize about twice a month max, usually once a month.

If you fertilize too much, it can harm the plants.

You will typically want high nitrogen when they are growing, and then switch to more of a phosphorous mixture to help them produce fruit.

shaunche

I don't use fertilizer on herbs I grow in the garden, I don't see a need to use a fertilizer as the herbs are growing well. Herbs like sage and mint are starting to blossom after a cold winter.

dissn_it

I would try to use some of the Miracle Grow potting soil, if you haven't planted your garden already. This really helps to grow a nice garden in poor soil. Just use enough for your plants and the area around them so you shouldn't need a lot.
If you have already planted your garden, then jason's advice would apply.

I never fertilize. Our herbs come in great, but our vegetables are a tad small. I don't fertilize because I try to stay as natural as possible. I feel like the fertilization adds extra "yuck" to my crops. :) I would recommend using a great soil like an organic soil to help speed your crop growing along.