The use of Acupressure

Pat

Acupressure is an ancient healing art that uses the fingers to press key points on the surface of the skin to stimulate the body's natural self-curative abilities. When these points are pressed, they release muscular tension and promote the circulation of blood and the body's life force to aid healing. Acupuncture and acupressure use the same points, but acupuncture employs needles, while acupressure uses the gentle but firm pressure of hands (and even feet).

I have used acupressure points to relieve cramps, headaches and stress.

More people have heard of acupuncture than acupressure which is an older practice.

dissn_it

I never knew accupressure was the older practice of the two. I have been wanting to try one or the other for my chronic lower back pain. I have had a deep tissue message that seemed to work really well but the relief only lasted for a few weeks. Thanks for the information on how accupuncture actually works!

I never knew accupressure was the older practice of the two. I have been wanting to try one or the other for my chronic lower back pain. I have had a deep tissue message that seemed to work really well but the relief only lasted for a few weeks. Thanks for the information on how accupuncture actually works!
It stands to reason that accupressure would be the older one. Technically if you knew where the correct points were, you could do this yourself. In fact, it's something I've been meaning to look into. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I couldn't stick myself with needles, haha!

I have often wondered about getting accupressure for my headaches. I suffer from very frequent migraines and I wondered if I might not have to use medications if I could find a better more natural way to deal with them. Having read this I might have to try to track down something in our area. I had looked into it a little online when I was at the end of my pregnancy because I had heard that it was possible to naturally start labor through different accupressure points (but doing it myself didn't do the trick!!!)