Switching hard food often

Luvkenny

My hubby has been buying a different brand of hard food lately for the cats. I noticed my outdoor cat has been throwing up when we first make the switch. Do you think it's the change of the food? Should we always be feeding them the same brand?

shaunche

Your cat throwing up is obviously not a good sign but it may not be caused by the change of brand. You could check the ingredients list to see if there are any differences, your cat may not respond well to one of the ingredients in the new brand.

Why did you change brands?

Sage

I don't think cat's stomachs are as sensitive as dogs, but if it is happening right after you make the switch, then it seems like that could be the problem. I have outdoor cats and buy whatever is on sale. I haven't noticed them having a problem with the changes though.

Melissa

It could be the food but it's nothing to worry about really. Why don't you try mixing the old food qoth the new food Like half-and-half? Then just decrease the old food until it's just the new food?

Kaybee517

If your cat is throwing up right after eating the new food, he/she may be used to the old food and respond better to that. I know my cat (she's 11 yrs old) eats dry regular cat chow however when I switched to Cat Chow for Indoor Cats w/ hairball treatment, she threw up right after. I thought it was a fluke until I picked up the pattern. So I switched back and she handles a lot better. I say if it ain't broke don't change it.

Jessi

It definitely could be the switch. You should really try to stay more consistent with it or as suggested above, mix it half-n-half as you're switching. It's still nothing to worry too much about, but it does sound like you're already concerned and want to prevent it.

HealthyS7

I always do a half and half of the new and old dry food to introduce my cats to it. They will flat out reject it if they just get the new food. It's easier on their stomachs too instead of going for the drastic change.

Basil Nut

Gradual transition to new food is probably the best way to do it. The suggestions about mixing the new with the old are good. I remember hating diet sodas, but now I hate the sugary ones.

rayne

Compare the ingredients of the new food vs. the old food. It has been my experience with cats that if there's something in it the food that's not good for them, they throw up. Better to go back to the old food and be sure.

I have learned that switching animals food is a horrible idea. If you have to then you need to mix the food together at first instead of switching out right so they don't get affected as much and can get used to it. Animals get sick very easily if you mess with their food.

HealthyS7

I go for mixing instead of switching just because my animals don't get enough water so I try to get them to eat wet for the water and we go with the hard food so they get more nutrients than just eating the wet food alone. The best thing to do is check with your vet.