supplements that help with anxiety?

thatgirl

I've heard that fish oil and vitamin D help, and I think I'm seeing a result when I remember to take them. But I was wondering if anyone else has tried supplements or herbs that have helped. If you have, what would you recommend?

I haven't tried using any food supplement to relieve anxiety. Anxiety is a mental state. So the best way to deal with it is to change the mental state.

Parker

The main herb that helps with anxiety are Kava and Passion Flower. I think Kava can cause bad side effect related to the liver.

thatgirl

I haven't tried using any food supplement to relieve anxiety. Anxiety is a mental state. So the best way to deal with it is to change the mental state.
So you don't think your physical health affects your mood? Have you ever noticed that you get cranky when your blood sugar is low? Have you never heard of a link between vitamin D deficiencies and depression? I'm surprised that anyone thinks that their state of mind is independent of their health.

thatgirl

The main herb that helps with anxiety are Kava and Passion Flower. I think Kava can cause bad side effect related to the liver.
In that case I will skip the Kava and look into Passion Flower. If it makes a nice tea that would be relaxing all on it's own.

gina121

I've used a range of herbal supplements to help alleviate anxiety and insomnia. My favorites, by far, have been 'aswagandha' (an Indian ginseng) and valerian tea - mainly because I have had no side effects with them. However, I have also used (and still occasionally use) other supplements like 5-HTP, ginkgo biloba, St John's wort and passionflower, of which I found 5-HTP particularly strong and effective for days of acute stress and anxiety. I do not take any of it regularly, though, as I am concerned about long-term effects on my health - which is a problem with most herbal and alternative medical products not approved by any medical body. I have also used chamomile tea successfully in the past to calm my nerves.

Lena51

I always use Valerian for anxiety and I feel it works great. And another one is the complete B complex is good also. I usually take vitamin B12 and that helps me alot and put that bounce back into you. I had no idea that herbal products have an effect on your body though, I think it all depends on the manufacturer and how pure it really is. So make sure it comes from a good manufacturer. The meds. that the doctors give you, we all know has bad side effects and that's the truth about all of it.

Parker

Some herbs and supplements do have adverse effects. It really has nothing to do with how it's made. I mentioned the side effects because I think people should be completely informed. Arsenic is a natural herb too, but it will kill you.