Stretch Marks in Pregnancy

Myrrh

My sister-in-law is pregnant. One thing she's a bit concerned about is stretch marks. Are their ways to prevent those pinkish streaks from developing? Once they're there, what could be done to reduce their appearance or get rid of them? :)

konstantina

Cocoa butter is the best thing you can use for both cases. (It is also safe for pregnancy). Moisturizing is key to avoid stretch marks that are caused either by excess and rapid weight or height!!

SoftRain

The problem with stretch marks is that they are genetic; she'll either get them or she won't. That said, moisturizing with cocoa butter, bio oil, or some other moisturizer won't hurt and will relieve any itching from stretching skin.

If she does get stretch marks, they will fade to a light color within about 6 months or so.

misumaru15

It does have a tendency to run in families. You can often help it by keeping your skin smooth. Coconut oil and cocoa butter is great and absorbs easily.

2Nature

They are pretty much determined by genetics, as other have already said. But you can remove them with plastic surgery, which is I believe too much for her to think about now.

Sarah C.

I have heard about cocoa butter as well. She needs to keep her skin moisturized and supple, so it will stretch easier. There are many creams on the market for reducing the appearance of stretch marks. She would not want to try any of these until after she has given birth.

amy71219

Cocoa butter can help keep the skin moisturized but genetics plays a role in whether she will get them or not. If she does get them there isn't a lot that can be done to get rid of them besides surgery. They do fade over time though.

hunysukle

There's a product called Bio-Oil, which is known to remove stretch marks and other scars. You can purchase Bio-Oil from most drugstores, grocery stores and online from drugstore.com. It only costs about $10. My sister used it on her scar and it really works.

Somniate

If she does get stretch marks, I've heard that lemon juice helps with making scars less obvious. She could get lucky though and not be a person to get them.

Congratulations on getting a niece/nephew, by the way! How far along is she?

BonnyC

I've heard a lot of things. Most people agree that they simply cannot be avoided. I think that the people that swear by cocoa butter and other items were some of the lucky folks who weren't going to get stretch marks anyway. Tell her that their war scars and to wear them with pride! I have to admit, mine do itch like crazy sometimes. They have faded to white lines over time, though.

chabella

All Lady
I only managed to get two sets of stretch marks in my life and neither were from my kids. The first on the outer hips from being a teen with a crazy growth hike, and I remember them hurting like pins & needles. The other when I gained too much weight (which I have now lost) in my chest area (and they never hurt). Do normal stretch marks from pregnancies hurt?

Alm86

I think cocoa butter would be a good thing to prevent them, and bio oil would be a good thing to use if she already has them. I love both of these products and I use cocoa butter daily. I use bio oil on my face if I get an acne scar.

Personally, I don't think women should be too fixated on getting rid of stretch marks. For me, stretch marks are like medals. They mean that the woman with stretch marks had done her share in bringing forth the next generation.

dkramarczyk

I must say that I was insanely crazy about stretch marks when I was pregnant. I would put on cocoa butter as much and as often as I could. Although, the inevitable happened. I found out, only by taking a picture of my lower belly, that I had a road map of stretch marks all over my stomach. I have had two children and my stretchmarks are still working on fading. My youngest is almost 2 years old. Stretchmarks take a long time to fade to that nice silver-ish color where they are barely visible at all. I have tried many things and have still not found something that works on getting them to disappear. The one thing that worked was liquid foundation, but of course that's only temporary and highly annoying to have to put on.

shaunche

I'm not sure of cocoa butter works but it seems to be a popular remedy for stretch marks. I think the best way to reduce stretch marks is to lose weight.

I really would disagree about stretch marks being genetic. When my mom had us (4 children) she never had even a fain streak of a stretch mark. When my elder sister was pregnant she too didn't have one. My mom said, her mom also never had one. So I was really confident I wouldn't be having one. But to my dismay, BOOM! As I was approaching the end of my 2nd trimester I noticed stretched marks appearing gradually. We thought it'll just subside but even after I gave birth until now, I have stretch marks. I tried all of the remedy but none seemed to work for me. It won't make the mark disappear, it will just lighten it. My doctor said we should start moisturizing our tummy with shea butter and olive oil the moment our tummy starts to grow. This way elasticity is developed more which might lessen the appearance of stretch marks.

btatro

There is absolutely no way to prevent stretch marks. I know, aw man! Stretch marks are a result of the skin stretching faster than it would like, causing slight tears in the tissue. They may be dark red or purple at first, but they do fade over time to an almost silver/ clear color.

There is also no way to get rid of stretch marks (kind of like cellulite, if you have it- you have it). You can lessen the appearance, but they will always be there. Sorry to be such a downer here!

Lena51

When I was pregnant I didn't get stretch marks either because my aunt told me to use the home remedy that they always used while pregnant. That home remedy is good old fashion mineral oil each and every day while you are pregnant and that really works. I did that and no stretch marks to be found. I am happy about that even though I never show that much skin. So try that and see what happens.

Jessi

I really would disagree about stretch marks being genetic.
I would say there's a genetic tie still, though. It doesn't mean no one in future generations can get them at all, of course. It does mean that there are similar skin types, pregnancy trends and tendencies, etc, that may be passed on....making it more or less likely to get them. In your case, sure the women on one side of the family may not have had them, but what about your dad's mom? Or was your body type and pregnancy similar to your mother's/sister's or did you grow faster/bigger/etc?